Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

University of Birm. centre for 1st WW studies.

armourersergeant

I have had cause to use the site of the University of Birmingham's centre for first world war studies. If you have not visited this site do so

I have seen recently that they do seminars and the like and that some of them are for just the odd day. There appears to be one in March about Generals and their Staff. Just up my alley blackadder.

I was wondering if any Pals had 'done' any of these type of courses and could recommend them and what they got out of them. I am aware that some of the Pals are also friends or members of the centre. This is your chance to plug the centre.

Arm.

I attended the last one, Four Days on the Western Front, in June. It was well worth the fee just to hear John Bourne in full flow. The buffet is also good, the place was packed, and you will be in good company, especially if you are a WFA regular and /or a Pal.

Give yourself a treat!

here you go Garth,

link here if i got it right.

Kate whats the rough costs involved as it doesnt give much info about it at the moment?

Arm.

Arm,

I'm trying to think back to the two day schools I have attended - both more than worthwhile. I certainly came away on both occasions stimulated with fresh thought and insight into the topics aired.

I think it was £25 per event discounted to £15 for friends of the centre (subscription £15). Given that it included refreshments and a splendid lunch plus four sessions (split between 2 or 4 speakers I reckon it was excellent value. Mr Baker attended so it's also a chance for a pals get together.

I believe that it is intended to run one or two events beyond the day schools. No doubt the web site will be updated as the New academic season gets underway.

Martin

thanks for the info,

Martin hope kate didnt make you pay too hard for the implication you posted earlier that she is want to wander off mentally during meetings. Following this you have now started answering her questions... Brave or foolhardy?

kate, i can honestly say that i have never via e-mail communicated with anyone on a subject where by there quick response and even though short replies that they have a passion and keeness aswell as knowledge of a subject. Nor the least his patience for a pain in the **** mailer like me, as Dr John Bourne. I should think he is great to hear.

I shall go have already booked the date off next year, its just the sort of topic i like.

Arm.

Arm,

I was deputed to respond, as I have been to two day schools and Kate has only been to one.

Since you are probably not too far away you will have to try our Northampton WFA meetings sometime!

Martin

Martin

I will willingly do that work etc permitting when is the next date?

Arm.