Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Battalion E. Yorkshire

sjtelfer

I have recently discovered that my great grandfather Lt. Col. H.G.A. Moore was selected to command this Battalion and was appointed temporary Lt. Col on 19th August, 1914.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has any information about the formation of this Battalion and what my great grandfather may have done before his death on August 8th 1915 during the landing at Suvla Bay.

Many thanks

SJT

SJT,

When war broke out on the 4th August 1914 the Depot of the EYR (Victoria Barracks Beverley)was overwhelmed with troops from the reserve, and started to billet men in the town. There was also a patriotic response and men went to join the 3rd Battalion as line recruits, Col M was attatched to the 3rd as a Major again this was overwhelming and the 3rd was moved to the Racecourse at Hedon, the 6th (Service) battalion was formed officialy on the 27th August 1914 but the officers and NCOs of Section D army reserve had been detailed before that.

They moved to Belton Park near Grantham to a tented camp on the 27th.

I think you may have the wrong date for Col Moores death. Look Here.

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=602410

Regards Charles

Charles

As ever, you're a great help. The information you've given me is helping to make sense of the contents of the letters I have written to my great-grandmother and grandmother while they were in Grantham and Alexandria. I've also found a war diary he wrote dated February 8th - 11th, 1915.

Thanks too for giving me the link for CWGC.. I had tried searching the site, but obviously didn't have the right info as I couldn't find his grave. I'll update his date of death.

SJT

SJT

In this case the date of death recorded in Officers Died is wrong. CWGC has the correct date, i.e. 9th August 1915 and is corroborated by a number of reliable documentary sources and publications.

Whilst visiting Green Hill Cemetery in September I photographed your great grandfather’s grave. If you would like a copy send me your email address in a PM.

Regards

Mark