Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland Fusiliers

mmm45

Hi

I am researching Pte H Cocksedge 7487 of the Northumberland Fusiliers.The CWGC site says he was with the 16th Bn and was killed 21/09/17.Does anyone have any information as to what action this may have happened during.I believe Pte Cocksedge to have come originally from West Yorkshire possibly Cleckheaton if anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

Ady

Hello Ady,

It looks like that the 16th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers were not involved in the Third Battle of Ypres. Not the Battalion, nor the 96st Brigade nor 32nd Division is mentioned in the Passchendaele-day-by-day account. The fact that he is buried in Koksijde (Belgian coast) would mean that he died there, probably in a hospital or something like that. Or he was killed while holding the frontline near the Belgian coast. Someone els might have more info on that.

Do you have a photograph of Cocksedge?

Kind regards,

Jan

Ady,

The 16th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers had been involved in the fighting around the Nieuport Sector(20/6/17 - 7/10/17 "Operations on the Flanders Coast") from mid-1917 and in September of that year they were located in the trench works in Lombartzyde right sub-sector.

I suspect your casualty is just one of the many that occur during normal "holding the line" routine and wasn't killed in any specific engagement.

Graham.