Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.N.R. seamen who died

Milner

Thanks Michael, I'm not sure where to go now.

Does anyone know if there is a seperate list of ww1 merchant sailors who died? Could he be listed at Trinity house?

James Melvin Milner was one of my great uncles.

Thanks

Phil

Hello Phil

Do you have the date your great uncle died?

Thanks

don

Thanks Michael, I'm not sure where to go now.

Does anyone know if there is a seperate list of ww1 merchant sailors who died? Could he be listed at Trinity house?

James Melvin Milner was one of my great uncles.

Thanks

Phil

I would have expected the name to be on the Tower Hill Memorial. I went into the CWGC website under "cemetery" - "Tower Hill Memorial" and searched the "M"s for similar sounding names without success. I can only conclude that your g-uncle's death was outside the dates for inclusion (1921) or that his death was recorded so far as medal issue was concerned but missed for other purposes.

Jim, I did the same, & on Chatham and Portsmouth. No MILNER, James Melvin found.

Kath.

Hello

I also checked the interwar ledgers which lead into the WW II ledgers.

The man probably died after discharge.

All best and Merry Christmas to all.

don

Hello

I also checked the interwar ledgers which lead into the WW II ledgers.

The man probably died after discharge.

All best and Merry Christmas to all.

don

No, Definitly between 1914-18, I have linked a picture of the memorial, this is the first time I've tried this so bear with me if it doesn't work.

http://www.kodakgallery.co.uk/ShareLanding...Dfromshare&Ux=0

Thanks

Phil

Hello Phil

I can say with some certainty then that your Milner did serve in the RNR during wartime, but was discharged, either demob'd or illness not related to service, before his death. These memorials do carry the names of those serving whether they died in service or later.

Sorry, I can't add further without his service record.

don

Hello Phil

I can say with some certainty then that your Milner did serve in the RNR during wartime, but was discharged, either demob'd or illness not related to service, before his death. These memorials do carry the names of those serving whether they died in service or later.

Sorry, I can't add further without his service record.

don

All I can add really at this time is his RNR number was 8571 preceded with what looks like gt or maybe dt. His brothers MIC who was also in the RNR, gives Army regimental numbers. He was RAMC then RE. but also served as temp acting Lieutenant in RNR on a destroyer for a time. So its very messy trying to find out RNR service. Looks like a trip to the NRA is needed (again).

Thanks all once again, I'm sure I will crack it just time needed.

Phil

Phil,

Only a snippet...to have two letters before the number would suggest RNR(Trawler Section). Did he have any service on trawlers before the war.

Regards Charles

I don't have any records on him apart from what I have already stated. I think that only leaves getting a death cert. or further visit to the NRA again. My cousin says she remembers being told he was buried in Sunderland, so that may rule him out as being lost at sea.

Regarding letters with RNR numbers, one of his brothers numbers was preceeded with TZ, definitly not Trawers but merchant cargo ships carrying coal/Iron ore.

Thanks anyway

Phil

• 1 month later...
Phil,

TZ is Royal Naval Volounteer Reserve he would have joined on Tyneside and not have had any previous seagoing experience.

Merry Xmas Charles

I think I have now solved the mystery by obtaining his death cert. He died of tuberculosis at home in Sunderland early 1918, so previous suggestions about discharged from the RNR through sickness would appear to be correct. He was only 20 years old when he died, I have done a little research and it appears TB. was a major cause of premature deaths in the UK at that time.

Many thanks to all

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

When you got to Kew, look in the RNR medal roll in ADM 171/123. His service record should then be in BT 377/7.

There have been threads about the stingy way the MN were treated in the way of scrolls and official commemoration. As I remember the gist, a man was only commemorated if the cause of death was direct enemy action. So someone dead of TB would have been left out.

From what I have read and with family connections to the merchant navy your correct. If a merchant navy ship was lost at sea pay for any surviving crew stopped when the ship sank. It might take many weeks to get back to their homes all without pay. Disgraceful is to mild a word to use. My great uncle was torpedoed three times in ww1 and captained ships on Atlantic/Russian convoys in ww2. He earned the OBE he got at the end of ww2.

Regards

Phil