Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Somerset Light Infantry

minoula

My relative Alfred Edward Walton was killed whilst serving in this battalion, his entry on the cwgc site is as follows:

Private WALTON, ALFRED EDWARD Service No: 50587

13th Bn Somerset Light Infantry

Date of Death: 15/06/1918

Additional information: Husband of May Walton, of I, Mansfield Grove, Mansfield Rd., Birmingham.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 95. 10623.

Cemetery: BIRMINGHAM (WITTON) CEMETERY

From the small amount of research I have managed so far, it appears that the 13th Bn were a service battalion and his MIC shows that he did not receive any medals indicating that he did not serve overseas.

Does anyone have any information about where the 13th Bn were stationed at the time he died? Is it likely that he was killed as a result of enemy action?

I have searched the 1837.com death registers for the record of his death in order to send for his death cert. but he does not appear to be listed - is this usual for soldiers killed on home service? If so where else might his death be registered?

I have also contacted Witton Cemetary who told me that he is buried in an unmarked plot with 2 other relatives. Should he be entitled to a cwgc gravestone as he was killed whilst enlisted or is that just reserved for those kia overseas?

Any information at all would be much appreciated

thanks

Min

Min. The 13th SomLI were a Home Service battalion, formed in late April, 1918 and based (for all of their existence) at Wrentham in Suffolk. I have to confess that I have not the foggiest where Wrentham is in Suffolk, but I can't say that enemy action is overly likely (I could be wrong) as a cause of death. Most likely natural causes or accidental.

As for the other questions - no idea....sorry.

I have also contacted Witton Cemetary who told me that he is buried in an unmarked plot with 2 other relatives. Should he be entitled to a cwgc gravestone as he was killed whilst enlisted or is that just reserved for those kia overseas?

Hi,

Steve has given the background to the regiment and hwere it was stationed during WWI.

I have him in my hard copy of SDGW for the SLI as having enlisted in Birmingham and having died on the home front on 15/6/1918.

As steve said almost certainly accident or illness, despite that I always thought that if he was listed by the CWGC he was entitled to a CDWG headstone. Perhaps a previous relative did'nt want one ?. A check with teh CDWG might clarify ?

Also for your interest he was formerly 22478 Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Hope this helps

Cheers

James

Thanks both your information gives me more to go on.

I will check with the CWGC to find out about the lack of headstone on his grave.

Thanks also for the info on his enlistment with the Warwicks - I was wondering why a man of 30 would have been on home service, perhaps as he was previously enlisted he was injured earlier in the war and sent home. I will look into this.

Many thanks again

min

• 4 weeks later...
I have to confess that I have not the foggiest where Wrentham is in Suffolk

Wrentham is approx 6 miles South of Lowestoft, just a little way inland, on the A12 Road. :)

• 1 month later...

Min,

Just to add a little more detail about the battalion. They were formed in May 1918 from a cadre of 250 men left over from the 11th Somerset Light Infantry who were deployed to France.

The 250 man cadre was made up of training staff and those unfit for foreign service. While the battalion was supposed to be engaged in 'coastal defence' it was some time before they were deemed fit to carry out this role. They spent most of their time on coastal watch duties, until August 1918 when they were considered good enough (and had increased to sufficient numbers) to man defences.

The battalion was made up of men over 45, but most were nearer 50.

(The source of this is the Light Bob Gazette - a SomLI Regimental publication, at the Light Infantry Office, Mount Street, Taunton. )

Regards,

Brendon.

Nice one Brendon! Your wonderful book has come in handy many times, super book! I can also confirm Brendon's reply and also inform you, that the 13th SLI roll, is listed as: KIA 0, Died of wounds 0, Died 3.

Thanks Brendon and Chris your information has given me more clues to work on. From what you say it seems to fit that he may have been invalided out of France when serving with the Warwicks and then was posted to the Somersets when fit enough for some form of home service. I am still trying to trace his death cert to find out the cause of death.

Thanks again your help is much appreciated