Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lieut. Allan Gladstone Dow,RFC

Terry

Having just won a single war medal named to this man, I checked and found that he had been killed in an air accident on 17 Aug.,1917, while serving with No.63 Training Sqn.

He was the son of John Russell Dow and Alice Dow, 607 O'Connor St.,Ottawa. and is buried at the Dartford (Watling Street) Cemetary.

A photo appears in the book "Our Heroes in the Great World War" and states, " Flight-Lieut. Allen G. Dow. Enlisted in the RFC in March,1917. Age 21. Was drowned on August 17,1917." I would assume that some of the details, such as his rank, are incorrect.

Do any of the Pals have any information on his death?

Terry

2Lt A G Dow of No 63 Training Squadron RFC was killed in an accident while flying Avro 504J B3120 on 17 August 1917. No 63 TS was based at Redcar.

I hope that this helps you

Gareth

Someone has mentioned to me that air force officers should have RAF or RFC after their name, so I may have been mistaken, as I think this medal just has the rank and name. This would make it an army A.G.Dow. Can anyone confirm this?

• 2 months later...

An update and a question. I have received Dow's file,and he had originally been accepted in to the RNAS. Apparently the navy was full at that point (April,1917) so he was entered in to the RFC. There is a written notation on his file stating, "Relatives received cable that he was drowned on 17 Aug.,1917. Machine collided with another in flames." (the last word may be Thames).

Do any of our aviation buffs know of this incident, or if the other pilot survived? The only other note in his file simply states "Drowned Aero Accident."

Terry

No other fatality from No 63 TS is listed in Airmen Died.

The only other UK training fatality listed for 17 August 1917 is 2Lt Francis Cyril Brooks (formerly Royal Field Artillery) from No 45 TS, who was killed while flying DH 5 A9441. No 45 TS was based at South Carlton; my UK geography isn't good enough to indicate if the two aeroplanes may have been operating close enough to collide.

Regards

Gareth

Thanks Gareth and Andrew. The newsclipping was especially helpful.

Cheers,

Terry

Hi,

Was just looking at this entry I live in Dartford, if you can give me full details & possibly a Grave site number I might be able to get a photograph of his Grave if you are interested.

I have been reseraching Capt Cooper after purchasing his group a week or so ago, new to Forum

Crimeinvestigator

The only reference I have is from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site, which states the Dartford (Watling Street) Cemetary and grave reference A.635. Hope this helps. I would certainly appreciate it i9f you were able to get a photo of the grave or memorial.

Cheers,

Terry

Hi,

leave it with me, can't promise that I will be able to do it quickly but I'll see what I can do.

Crimeinvestigator