Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Durham Light Infantry.

mmm45

Hi

I am researching a War Medal in my possession it belonged to Pte G Blamires His Reg No is 1954.The CWGC site says he was killed 7/11/18 with the Durham Light Infantry.Does anyone have any information about the action he was involved in so close to the armistice?I think Pte Blamires must have changed Regiments was this common practice to be re-roled in another Regiment? His original Regiment I think was the West Riding Regiment.

Any help much appreciated.

Ady.

Hi Ady - from my experience, my great grandfather was in the 8th battalion DLI - part of the 50th division - they got heavily mauled in the spring of 1918 and the survivors of 8DLI were put into other regiments - West Riding being one of them, that's where my ancestor ended up. One good place to start searching what happened to each battalion (there were several for the Durhams) is the 'Regimental Warpath' - put those two words into google, click on the sight and work from there - you won't find this chap's name but you will be able to trace the changes of the various battalions and note which actions they were involved in.

Good luck.

Nick.

Nick

Thanks.

Looks like Pte Blamires was probably in 2/7 Batt Duke Of Wellingtons,Absorbed into 43rd Brigade,29th Batt DLI and went to France to fight at 3rd Battle of Ypres??1918 where he lost his life in the latter stages.

Again thanks for pointing me in right direction.

Ady.

No probs - glad you got a result so quickly - marvellous!

Nick

Ady

First of all the 3rd Battle of Ypres was in 1917.

According to SDGW Pte George Blamires, born Cleckheaton was serving with 15 DLI, his regimental number was 250744, before that he was 1954 Duke of Wellington's.

15 DLI had suffered between 23 and 25 October losing in casualties 7 Officers and 246 other ranks.

After recieving a large draft of replacements it crossed the Sambre via a pontoon bridge at Berlaimont. In the morning it was involved in fighting at Ruisseau Grimour, repelling a counter attack. The battalion pressed on to Limont-Fontaine and drove the enemy out with a bayonet attack. 15 DLI lost 3 Officers and 124 other ranks killed or wounded. Amongst those killed was Captain Lascelles V.C. M.C. and without doubt Pte Blamires.

I recommend that you have a look at he website 'The Long Long Trail', it is a must for anyone interested in the Great War.

Sean