Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Lancashire Regiment

Guest redsquirrel

Guest redsquirrel

My Grandfather joined the South Lancs Regiment in March 1915 in Warrington. He was discharged in February 1919 in Mesopotamia. He was awarded the MM. I am trying to find out where he was during the war years. I believe the MM was for service in Mesopotamia. Other old soldiers told my uncle that he received the MM for carrying a fellow soldier under fire. Rumour has it that he was also in France during WW1, apparently being bitten by a dog in the trenches!. I have no idea which battalian he served with and cannot sort out the very difficult structure of this regiment. He may also have been in India at some point in 1919. After he was discharged he signed up as a regular and stayed with the regiment. Can anyone help to untangle his service.

My Grandfather joined the South Lancs Regiment in March 1915 in Warrington. He was discharged in February 1919 in Mesopotamia. He was awarded the MM. I am trying to find out where he was during the war years. I believe the MM was for service in Mesopotamia. Other old soldiers told my uncle that he received the MM for carrying a fellow soldier under fire. Rumour has it that he was also in France during WW1, apparently being bitten by a dog in the trenches!. I have no idea which battalian he served with and cannot sort out the very difficult structure of this regiment. He may also have been in India at some point in 1919. After he was discharged he signed up as a regular and stayed with the regiment. Can anyone help to untangle his service.

Hi Red Squirrel and Welcome to the Forum!

Do you have a name or any dates etc for your Grandfather?

Annie :)

Guest redsquirrel

Hi

Grandad was Thomas Goodier, he was born in Latchford in 1896. He eventually rose to the rank of WOII and was awarded the long service and good conduct medal. He died in 1961 whilst he was the caretaker of the Drill Hall at Warrington. He had very bad asthma and always said it was a result of being gassed in the trenches. He retired from the army in March 1944 after a service of 25years and 38 days.

Hi

Grandad was Thomas Goodier, he was born in Latchford in 1896. He eventually rose to the rank of WOII and was awarded the long service and good conduct medal. He died in 1961 whilst he was the caretaker of the Drill Hall at Warrington. He had very bad asthma and always said it was a result of being gassed in the trenches. He retired from the army in March 1944 after a service of 25years and 38 days.

Maybe Stebie can help here - he was Gazetted 29/8/1917 for his MM

here's a medal card

http://tinyurl.com/7rt9l

but heres another one with a different service number

http://tinyurl.com/9k65l

Annie

Edited by liverpool annie

If he was in mespot late in the war he was probably with 6th Battalion....but this does not square with being bitten by a dog in France as the 6th didn't go to France? Peter.