Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Cavalry Regiment

Ciaran Byrne

Which British cavalry regiment(s) were around the area of Boussicourt on 27th March 1918 ?

Boussicourt is near Hargicourt in between Moreuil and Montdidier.

Any ideas?

Ciaran - elimination may help. 15th Hussars History states "The 1st Cavalry Division was ordered to attack vigorously and occupy the Chipilly Spur" (1st Brigade with 9th Brigade in support)

Good idea, didn't think of it like that.

I know that 3rd Cavalry Brigade were around Moyvilliers, 30km south of Montdidier. They moved from COMPEIGNE near Soissons the night before.

2nd Cavalry Division concentrated en route to Moyvilliers so it realisticly couldn't be them.

That leaves 3rd Cavalry Division and its regiments, 6th, 7th and 8th Cavalry brigades.

Edited by Ciaran Byrne

Hello

In "La bataille del'Avre" Commandant Thierry d'Argenlieu :

On March 28th 12H00 : 2nd Cavalry Division between Le Mesnil-Saint Firmin and Broyes (very far from Boussicourt. The closest cavalry unit was the French 6e Cuirassiers at Hargicourt (1-2 km)

Best regards

Hello

In "La bataille del'Avre" Commandant Thierry d'Argenlieu :

On March 28th 12H00 : 2nd Cavalry Division between Le Mesnil-Saint Firmin and Broyes (very far from Boussicourt. The closest cavalry unit was the French 6e Cuirassiers at Hargicourt (1-2 km)

Best regards

Thanks for that Pilot. I have an interesting photo of British cavalry on the move down a road with French troops at the roadside. I was hoping to identify the British Cavalry regiment that these men belonged to.

Hermann Jimmermann's book 'Die englische Kavallerie in Frankreich im März und April 1918' mentions that the 2nd Cavalry Division, with the Canadian Cavalry Brigade, were marching north and had reached the vicinity of Montdidiers. The next day they continued north reaching Guyencourt-Cottenchy-Boves.

The history of the 20th Hussars (5th Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division) contains the following:

'On the morning of [the 28th] it was reported that the Germans had broken through south of Montdidier. The whole 2nd Cavalry Division accordingly moved via Blincourt to Noroy. Here it was learnt that the situation had been restored and that the Division would not be required. About noon a report came in that the enemy had broken through west of Montdidier and that they were advancing on the main Paris railway line at Chepoix. A prompt advance was made towards this fresh danger point, the line of march lying between Angivillers and Plainval. Once more it turned out to be a false alarm, and the division went into billets for the night about La Herrelles, which was a deserted village. The 5th Brigade formed the mounted reserve for the division and had small posts out at night. The 3rd and 4th Brigades formed dismounted battalions in case they should be required.'

On a more general note, the Marquis of Anglesey's history tends to focus on mounted cavalry actions. I have not checked this particular incident but will do so.

Robert

Thanks to you all for the replys.

I have the Marquess of Anglsey's book and alas as was mentioned it just covers cavalry actions, not movements.

This is the picture in questions that I am trying to ID. To tell you the truth I am assuming that they are British Cavalry but they could well be Canadian.

e1_1_b.JPG

Ciaran, thanks for the photograph. From the location and date, I had wondered if they were a forward reconnaisance unit. The photograph would support this. I cannot tell if they are Canadians - but that doesn't mean much. Do any of our Canadian contributors know whether/where the histories of the Canadian cavalry units are online? Thanks.

Robert