Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred Ambrose, DCM (?)

John_Hartley

I'm researching L/Cpl Ambrose who served with the 6th Seaforth Highlanders. He is listed on a war memorial as holding the DCM.

It's the medal that's causing me a problem. There was no mention of it in his obituary in the local press. I've also tried just about every permutation of information to try and search at gazettes-online to find the citation, but without success (and that took up most of yesterday !)

I know the London Gazette is eratic, but I've been able to find info on one other person I'm interested in. My thoughts are now coming round to the fact that the DCM listing may be an error.

Any Seaforths experts out there who may have info please post a response (or anyone else)

Thanks

John B)

John,

SDITGW and CWGC also have 267507 L/Cpl Alfred Ambrose as DCM.

I think I'm right in saying 267xxx numbers were mostly men who had previously served in other Seaforth battalions - certainly there a lot of ex-5th Seaforth men around 2672xx/2673xx - so he may not have been 6th at the time of award.

I'm in the PRO over the next few days and will have a look at the DCM index there.

Jock Bruce

John,

R.W. Walkers's Recipients of the D.C.M. book confirms :-

267507, Pte Ambrose, A 3.9.18 ( Gazette Date)

Seaforth Highlanders no Btn given.

Stuart

John,

267507 Pte. A. Ambrose, Sea. Highrs. (Manchester)

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during an enemy attack. His section leader becoming a casualty, he assumed command of the section and a party of stragglers, and by fine powers of leadership he

controlled this party splendidly and inflicted severe losses on the enemy.

Third Supplement to the London Gazette of 30 Aug 18 - 3 Sep 18.

Top tip - try searching on initials and surname but put a period after each initial. For some reason regimental numbers don't work.

Having shown what a smart alec I am, I'll still check him out in the PRO for you.

Was he one of the several hundred guys recruited into the Seaforth from Manchester/Bolton in Jan 15 ????

Jock Bruce

Stuart/Jock - many thanks for the information.

Jock - I'd seen your first posting earlier this evening and had been trying the Gazette site again. And still no success. You have the magic touch (or perhaps it's your top tip about putting a period in - that must be the one permutation I didnt think to try).

I know very little about Alfred Ambrose - other than whats at CWGC. As I mentioned, the local press didn't even refer to his medal. I reckon it will be a good guess that he is one that went to Scotland when the idea of a Manchester Scottish didnt take off (I think I've got about 4 Seaforths on my local memorials).

His older brother, John, was killed a month later whilst with 122 Brigade, RFA.

Thanks again both

John B)

When the 'Manchester Scottish' contingents moved to Edinburgh to join the Royal Scots, the success of the recruitment in the City was capitalised on by various Highland Regiments, including the Seaforth Highlanders. The initial recruitment in the city was headed by the Lowlander's of the KOSB who gained hundreads of recruits and around 200 were killed who enlisted in Manchester with various battalions of the KOSB. This recruitment possibly sparked the idea for a seperate battalion, although the idea was abandoned not through lack of vols but for other reasons. Around 1200 men came forward for the Manchester Scottish of whom 500 went to the 15th Royal Scots, a further 250+ went to the 9th and the 2/6th also took around 300+.

Most of the volunteers for the proposed M/S contingents still wanted to serve with Scottish units and the 1/8th A&SH raised a lot of men from the city, especially after opening a recruiting office on Peter St. In one week 200 men went north for this battalion. Other Scottish units sent medical officers and pipers to the city. The 7th Seaforth raised a fair number of men from across the north-west of England. The Gordon Highlanders also took its share of the cities Scottish Patriots. The Scotts community in Manchester was quite a large one, with many soldiers having already been serving in local Terrier battalions. A trawl through Soldiers Died in the Great War on Manchester as place of enlistment on several Highland and Lowland regiments will provide some intersting statistics.

John,

his DCM is recorded as 1/6 Seaforth.

Looking at the medal roll his previous 6th Seaforth number was 5144 and he is part of a sequence of 10-15 numbers who have no previous service in other Seaforth battalions or other units.

I know that 5129 was allocated to a soldier who moved from 5 to 6 Seaforth in April 16, so would suggest that he joined 6th Seaforth about that time. Doesn't mean that is when he joined the Army, he could have served in anything before that.

5th Seaforth DCM gazetted at the same time were for deeds during the German spring offensive.

hope this helps

Jock Bruce

Jock,

many thanks for this additional info (and I reckon I can now use gazettes-online OK). April '16 is a good bet for when he joined up. He was the youngest of three brothers and I know the middle one joined in 3/15.

regards

John B)

• 4 weeks later...

For Information relating to the Highland units of Scotland and their recruitment in Manchester during WWI please contact;

Mr Steven Lowe (Macclesfield) 01625 424921

He is also the Imperial War Museum's NIWM co-ordinator for the north west of England and will be glad to assist.

Guest peter johnson

Gentlemen

This is nothing to do with Alfred Ambrose I'm afraid, what i am after is the web address for the Gazzette that you obtain your info from. I've had no luck with my search Engine? :(

In anticipation

Many Thanks

Peter.