Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fires in British Columbia

Broznitsky

In case your media does not cover events in Canada, I am posting this info about a spectacular event occurring now. May be of interest to our firefighting Pals.

"A massive wildfire burning in British Columbia's southern interior has forced one-third of Kelowna's population from their homes and placed more on alert. Roughly 30,000 people have left their homes in the Okanagan city. Another 8,000 people are on a one-hour evacuation notice.

Officials from the Kelowna Fire Department and BC Fire Commissioners Office are touring the areas affected by the fire last night, preparing an accurate assessment of the number of homes that have been saved and the number that couldn’t be saved from the rapidly advancing fire, which was fanned by winds associated with a thunderstorm cell which passed through the area. Rough and unofficial estimates by fire fighters on the scene suggest up to 300 homes may be lost.

Winds are fanning the flames of the blaze, which is more than 100 metres high in areas. Officials pulled some firefighters from the scene overnight because conditions were so unpredictable.

The fire is a “war zone”, a firestorm category six. Firefighters are battling walls of flame 400 feet high. With wind gusts of 60 to 70 km. per hour pushing the fire at 100 metres per minute tonight, Captain Moody feels fortunate no lives were lost. In two instances firefighters were trapped with flames all around and through the efforts of their colleagues battled their way out."

You may wish to visit www.castanet.net for some amazing photos.

Peter (please remember the fighters and the evacuees in your prayers)

post-8-1061656256.jpg

Peter (please remember the fighters and the evacuees in your prayers)

They have my prayers.

As an ex-Fireman, I know how bad a grass-fire can get, but fortunately I never had to deal with something on the scale that the Canadians are facing.

Hi Broz:

We've been very lucky not to have lost any of our firefighters this summer. Millions of dollars of equipment (pickup trucks, Caterpillar bulldozers, and water tankers) had to be abandoned to the fire. Suddenly the wind changes direction and the firefighters are running for their lives.

I've talked with some of our reporters and photographers, who have been covering the MANY forest fires, and they are at a loss for words to describe this event; unusual for people who use words and pictures in their line of work.

On a personal note, we've had several family members evacuated from their homes in different parts of the province this summer. Today, our niece and her family were put on evacuation standby in Kelowna. The fire is less than 5 km away and heading in their direction.

What we need is prayers for RAIN. Lots of rain.

Garth