Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private James Currie

Hector

I am trying to find any info on Pvt. James Currie,a Gt. Uncle who was K.I.A. 23/7/18 and is burried in Buzancy cemetary Nr. Soissons.We have a death penny for him but it only has his name on it . Should it have his No. on also?Where would the War Dairy be kept and would any photagraphs be obtainable?

I am trying to find any info on Pvt. James Currie,a Gt. Uncle who was K.I.A. 23/7/18 and is burried in Buzancy cemetary Nr. Soissons.We have a death penny for him but it only has his name on it . Should it have his No. on also?Where would the War Dairy be kept and would any photagraphs be obtainable?

Name: CURRIE, JAMES

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Own Scottish Borderers

Unit Text: 7th/8th Bn.

Date of Death: 23/07/1918

Service No: 24980

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 12.

Cemetery: BUZANCY MILITARY CEMETERY

This was found on the CWGC website

Gives you the service number.

Di

Forgot to give you the link, has a photo of the cemetry on the site and also will give you access to his memorial certificate too.

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=274814

Di

Surname CURRIE

Firstname James

Service Number 24980

Date Death 23/07/1918

Decoration

Place of birth Driffendall Dumfries

Other 7/8th Bn.

SNWM roll THE KING'S OWN SCOTTISH BORDERERS

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Buzancy is rebuilt with Scottish style ' corbie-stepped ' roofs.

The Cemetery is up a lane behind the Church which is on the skyline in the photo.

Aye

Malcolm

post-129-1135022175.jpg

Edited by Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to find the birth place of James ...Driffendall Dumfries but is not on any of my maps, maybe if someone is local on the forum may be able to help. I will also get in touch with relatives in the area also,

thanks

I suspect that it is more likely to be Dryfesdale.

I wonder if he was any relation to Charles Currie, details below of Kirkmichael, Dumfries?

He was also 7/8th KOSB

post-172-1135957355.jpg

This is new to me but will check out, they may have been cousins?.

Dryfesdale looks the likely place as the family did live around Lochmaben. His father was James also and his mother was Janet Currie nee Grieve.

7/8 Bn KOSB attacked over open country between Rozieres and Buzancy on 23rd July 1918. The attack was not a success owing to the failure of teh preceeding artillery bombardment to deal with the German machine guns. The bn suffered 309 casualties in the attack.

Simon