Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

worcester regiment

shark

my father in law had a great uncle who was in worcester regiment his name was George Henry born on the 16-08-1897(SOUTHALL)

all we know is that he went to italy and (not sure)gained a MM

he survived the war but never talked about it

if someone could help me to trace that soldier it would be a nice chrismas present for my father in law

unfortunatly i havent got his bn

philippe

philippe.dr@tiscali.fr

The 7th and 8th (Territorial) battalions served in Italy.

Of the 3 George Southall's shown on the Medal Index Cards:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...=1&mediaarray=*

one has a Territorial number allocated to the 7th Battalion:

Medal card of Southall, George

Corps Regiment No Rank

Worcestershire Regiment 4517 Private

Worcestershire Regiment 201976 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=4

He also has a card for winning an MM:

Medal card of Southall, George

Corps Regiment No Rank

Worcestershire Regiment 201976 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=4

All "circumstantial evidence" but I would be pretty sure thsi was him...

I'll try and find the entry for his MM in the London Gazette (though I would recommend downloading both the campaign medal card and the MM card as these will give further information)

Steve.

Here's the Gazette entry for his MM:

London Gazette 29th March 1919.

201976 Pte. Southall, G., 7th Bn. (Cradley) (ITALY)

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

There was a sizeable delay between the winning of an MM and it's official announcement in the Gazette. With the 1919 one's it is more than a bit hit and miss estimating a date but I would say Summer 1918 perhaps August 1918.

Does Cradley ring any bells as his place of residence? Hopefully it will just about confirm the correct man...

Since the Gazette entry is after the war it states everything that would be shown on his MM card. So unless you want the "official document" for him you will not gain any extra information for your download fee. (£3.50 per card by the way, you get a page of 6, just ignore the ones that don't relate to your man)

There are quite a few MMs to the 7th Battalion in the Gazette issue so perhaps it was at a reasonably major battle?

Each battalion would have kept an official War Diary. These are stored at the National Archives at Kew in London and can be perused and copied. I'm sure that someone will also have a regimental history somewhere.

Steve.

That's a useful link, Geoff.

Thanks for posting. (Though if you'd posted it a few minutes earlier... :D )

Steve.

P.S. Phillipe, his two numbers would likely relate to his service in the same battalion since all TF (Territorial) men were re-numbered from 1-3-1917 with 6 digit numbers. Each TF battalion had a range of numbers allocated to it)

That's a useful link, Geoff.

Thanks for posting. (Though if you'd posted it a few minutes earlier... :D )

Steve.

Doh...Almost made it - it was on the clipboard as you posted. Wish more Regiments had websites like that one.

Just had that sinking feeling.

Is the man George Henry Southall or George Henry FROM Southall??!!

Steve.

Just had that sinking feeling.

Is the man George Henry Southall or George Henry FROM Southall??!!

Steve.

no it is his name and i am quiet sure this is the man . now i know is bn i will be able to trace him

i found today the official history of the worcestershire regiment in hallesowen(close to cradley heath) library

i thank you for your wonderfull help and i wish you a merry christmas and an happy new year

philippe

There are quite a few MMs to the 7th Battalion in the Gazette issue so perhaps it was at a reasonably major battle?

A dozen or so MM and a few bars. it is the 7th's final operation , the battle of Vittorio Veneto, Oct/Nov 1918. I'll let Shark read it up, since the book is found.