Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding out more about POW WW1

Lauraclarke76

Hello

My great grandfather was a prisoner of war during the first world war and I wanted to find out more information about this. I have some papers but I am not sure what I should be looking for or where I can go for more information. My Great-grandfather was a sergeant in the 9th battalion of the Manchester Regiment. I am currently looking into where he served and when he was taken prisoner

Any advice on how to research this would be apreciated

Thanks and best regards

Laura

Laura,

Have you tried;

a) his MIC (can be obtained online) It MAY have some useful information.

B) The "burnt" records of WW1 soldiers to see if his still exists.

c) Followed the guidelines on this site.

Some two thirds of all Brits taken prisoner were taken in 1918.

Doug

Hello

My great grandfather was a prisoner of war during the first world war and I wanted to find out more information about this. I have some papers but I am not sure what I should be looking for or where I can go for more information. My Great-grandfather was a sergeant in the 9th battalion of the Manchester Regiment. I am currently looking into where he served and when he was taken prisoner

Any advice on how to research this would be apreciated

Thanks and best regards

Laura

Hello Laura

The international committee of the Red Cross is where you want to be...the link below will take you straight to their on-line application form, if your great granddad was a prisoner of war, there is a very good chance the red cross will have details for him, i.e. date captured, where captured, camps held etc.....be warned if they do have details for him, they charge a fee for this service, and it is not cheap....at least it wasn't the last time I used it......good luck.

John.

http://www.icrc.org/Web/forms/webforms.nsf...1256D1300441284

Hello

Thank you for all the advice, I will have a look at all the various sites over the next couple of days.

I have had a look at some paperwork of my great grandfathers and "Stammlager " is mentioned. I think he may have been here in the spring of 1918.

Thanks again

Laura

Hi Laura.

The charge for P.O.W research is 80 Swiss Francs per hour and they recommend a minimum of 2 hours. If no information is found they charge nothing.

That works out to about £35 per hour.

Scott.

Edited by scott henderson

Laura,

My German is not very good but I think that Stammlager is a type of camp rather than the name of a camp. Possibly more of a head camp. You have mentioned documents. Do any of these consist of postcards as these are usually covered in postmarks which can be used to identify the camp or camps? Most prisoners would have been in more than one and then probably farmed out to a work placement which could have actually been a farm amongst other things. If you have a scanner then a scan of such documents may help. Even if you cant read the names then we might just by knowing what they look like.

Doug

Laura,

Forgot to mention that being in a head camp in the spring of 1918 would be consistent with being taken prisoner in the German spring offensive of 1918 when large numbers of allies were taken prisoner. A head camp would have been perhaps the first camp he was sent to though he could have passed through a series of such camps.

Doug

Doug