Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

47th Siege Battery, RGA, October 1917 Ypres near the Huts

Fogarrach

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am trying to find out a bit about the 47th Siege Battery, RGA who were probably located at or near the Huts cemetery, Ypres Salient, over October/November 1917. In particular I am interested in knowing a bit more, if possible, about H Howland, 111402, he died on 4th October 1917 and is buried in aforementioned cemetery.

My interest stems from some family research that got me interested in Harry. Turns out I went a bit off track though – no family connection. Despite that and whilst I am pretty sure that there is no family connection I have been able to establish that, despite being born in Thame, his name does not appear on the town war memorial. If I can prove definitely that if he was born in Thame, Oxfordshire, I feel that he has the right to have his name added to the war memorial in that town. Does that seem like a reasonable and feasible idea to members?

I already owe a debt of gratitude to a couple of pals that have kindly taken time to provide me with information. I understand that a War Diary could help but I’ve been unable to find much out about the 47th including whether or not a war diary survived.

Have look at Channel 4 - History - Not Forgotten.

Its a web site listing the names and memorials from all over the country. A name search shows 28 Howlands, a number of which are H or H C.

If you search by town i.e. Thame, it comes up with two A R Howlands on the local memorial. This may be a typo or Harry was actually an A.....

Just a thought

Stuart

"Soldier's Died" (the book, not the CD) indicates that 111402 Gnr. Harry Howland was born in Thame, Oxford and enlisted at Shepherd's Buss, Middlesex. Dick Flory

Concerning the town memorial, I have the feeling that those placed on memorials were living in that town when they went to war rather than simply born there. I have a similar situation to resolve i so Id be interested to see what other forum members think. Gareth

I think it was from Solidiers Died that my dad established the link with Thame. I don't think that the two Howlands identified as names beginning with A are Harry as I think they are both identied as buried with graves- as is Harry. From limited access to census records I've been able to postulate that there were, I think, three families in Thame with that surname - all of which seem to have had large families (c. 10-13 ...). I don't have a picture of Harry. In fact all I know is from Soldiers Died, the CWGC, limited access to census records, and from his grave stone.

As for the town memorial. I can't help feeling that he has gained the right to be mentioned on the war memorial in Thame. I've seen his grave after all. All views/advice on this are/is very welcome. And what would be the thinking behind a 40'ish year old joining up? I'm about that age and the thought of serving now puts a chill through me. Any thinking behind why he might have joined up would be gratefully welcomed. I have a feeling that he may have left Thame for London. (Did he become a butcher in Edmonton, Middlesex? - I think the 1901 census shows an H Howland from Thame whose age matches (I've absolutely no evidence to link tho other than the coincidence of age). And he enlisted in Shepherd's Bush. Being that he was from Thame, did he know about horses? Would that be why he would enlist in the RGA? Again - total supposition - and please forgive me that it might seem a bit ill informed or too suppose'ish to some of you guys. And what were his last days like? And who served around him at that moment?

Many and sincere thanks to everyone, not only those that are helping but also those that help others. Like I say, I've no family interest now - all that remains is the man, and the thought that it might be nice to acknowledge his contribution. I've watched a few thread in here over the last couple of months and can truly say that I've never seen better conducted debates & threads.

aye.

Thanks Roop,

Are there any "young person's guides" in here that I could use to make my visit to the national archive as productive as possible?