Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/6th Sherwood Foresters War Diary 27 April1917

Guest griffiths

:) Trying to find out what caused 31 fatalities on 27 April 1917 from the 2/6th Sherwood Foresters based at La Chapelette France I think! in particular Private Joesph Draycott KIA there, any help appreciated

2/6th Sherwood Foresters war diary for 27 April, 1917.......sorry no casualties named.

Place: ROISEL Date: 27.4.17. Time: 10 am

Battalion marched to HARGICOURT ROAD from L.11 G.0.5. to L.11 G.5.0 to deploy follow to attack on QUARRIES and COLOGNE FARM (lt c u. t)

The attack was launched at 3.55 am. and the QUARRIES were successfully captured and a line was consolidated EPST of the QUARRIES FROM L.5.d.q. to L.11.t q.q.

Seven prisoners and 1 machine gun were captured.

32 men and 4 officers were killed in action, includingh Captain William Brabazon Mather Jackson, whose name has recently been mentioned on the thread about the Foresters and Ireland in 1916.

Griffiths - I note that Joseph was a Clay Cross man. Clay Cross is only a few miles from Tibshelf where I have an interest in a few Draycotts. Are you by any chance a descendant?

:rolleyes:

2/6th Sherwood Foresters war diary for 27 April, 1917.......sorry no casualties named.

Place: ROISEL Date: 27.4.17. Time: 10 am

Battalion marched to HARGICOURT ROAD from L.11 G.0.5. to L.11 G.5.0 to deploy follow to attack on QUARRIES and COLOGNE FARM (lt c u. t)

The attack was launched at 3.55 am. and the QUARRIES were successfully captured and a line was consolidated EPST of the QUARRIES FROM L.5.d.q. to L.11.t q.q.

Seven prisoners and 1 machine gun were captured.

:lol: Thank-you for your help and quick response John84 - Private J Draycott no known grave but name appears on Thiepval Memorial. At least I know a little more now

Merry Xmas

from griffiths

:rolleyes:

32 men and 4 officers were killed in action, includingh Captain William Brabazon Mather Jackson, whose name has recently been mentioned on the thread about the Foresters and Ireland in 1916.

Griffiths - I note that Joseph was a Clay Cross man. Clay Cross is only a few miles from Tibshelf where I have an interest in a few Draycotts. Are you by any chance a descendant?

:rolleyes: Thank-you for your prompt reply - Andrew Hesketh post 364514, there must have been some sort of scuffle to loose 36 men. I do not know if the Clay X Draycotts were connected to Tibshelf ones, perhaps going back they were, I've only just started tracing that line of geneology. Private Draycott's father was also named Joseph and was a bricklayer by trade for Clay X Company. I'm sorry I do not know anymore..I have 2 medals of Private Draycotts and a card that must have been sent to "those left behind" showing date of death and "died at the Front in France" a bit vague! its marked Home Words and printed in Nottingham.

Thanks for your help - Merry Xmas

Griffiths