Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Volunteer battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers

MIDMED

I have some documents belonging to an R.G.A Gunner who was wounded in France during the latter part of the war.Among them is this Volunteer Force certificate. Can anyone tell me something about this battalion. and the Volunteer force......?

Thanks Tom..........

Edited by MIDMED

Tom,

Right up my street this sort of thing the Volunteer Force was created in 1916 from units of the Volunteer Training Corps on official recognition from the War Office. Within the Volunteer Force you had created Volunteer Regiments organised into battalions and so on. In July 1918 all battalions within the Volunteer Force were affiliated to their local county regiments and given old pre-1908 titles i.e. 1st Volunteer Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers and so on. They were actually the First World Wars Home Guard.

Now I'm going to be a cheeky chap and say if it's not wanted would go great with my Northumberland Fusilier collection. What's me chances???

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Graham

I will contact you via this site when I’m finished with this lot

Stand by....

(your chances are good)

Tom,

It's the early hours and I've just caught sight of this post. Many thanks, will keep my eye's peeled for futher post's.

All the best,

Graham.