Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th Howitzer Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery

Guest Christine Dorsett

Guest Christine Dorsett

My Dad has started to read my Grandfather's letters home during World War One, and would like to be able to trace where my Grandfather was. What I have been able to discover so far is this:

Percy Lancelott Runnalls

Joined on March 7th, 1916 in Guelph, Ontario

His Attestation papers are stamped with the 56th Over-seas Battery and 14th Howitzer Brigade of the Canadian Field Artillery.

Any information on his unit or brigade would be greatly appreciated.

Christine Dorsett

Hi Christine,

First of all, welcome to this Forum. Warning: once started, you’re hooked!

No. 56 Battery C.F.A. was raised in Ontario, in the Guelph area. As part of the Canadian 4th Division it was stationed in England in December 1916. There was a reorganisation at the time and the 56th Battery was split up. Half of it joined the 58th Battery and together with the 60th, 61st and 66th Batteries it formed the 14th Brigade C.F.A., 5th Canadian Divisional Artillery.

I haven’t been able to determine where the other half of the 56th Battery went…..so it is unclear to me where your Grandfather ended up. :blink:

The Canadian First World War Diaries are online. The 14th Brigade C.F.A. can be found here.

You could try this website here for more information.

Cheers,

Michael

Here is a CEF-CFA website, and while not on your specific batter it should provide some interim insight into a typical CEF battery.

Borden Battery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

40th Battery, CFA - Anon Sept 2005

A brief introduction to the Battery's formation, a Roll of Honour compiled from the Canadian War Memorial, a photograph, contemporary newspaper accounts, an account of the death of Major G.H. Southam, O.C. of the 40th Battery, CFA (extracted from the War Diary), and a Roster which appears to have been compiled from the LAC's Soldiers of the First World War (1914-1918)

[Recommended by Brett Payne]

http://www.geocities.com/hambattcef/40Battery.html

Guest Christine Dorsett

Thanks, Michael. I used to love to go through the box that my Dad had of stuff from his father. Most things were parceled out among his siblings, and Dad ended up the letters, some German maps from the trenches, and a nice collection of postcards - mostly from England. From what Dad said, Grandpa ended up in Cologne, Germany after travelling through France and Belgium. I should really get him to scan all of the letters so that we can go through them and try to compile some information.

I'll try going through your sites and see what I can find. I think Dad said that in one of the letters, Grandpa mentioned being in the 55th Battery as well, although his attestation papers which I found on-line were stamped with the 56th. Who knows - maybe he was in both. :)

Chris

Hi Christine,

First of all, welcome to this Forum. Warning: once started, you’re hooked!

No. 56 Battery C.F.A. was raised in Ontario, in the Guelph area. As part of the Canadian 4th Division it was stationed in England in December 1916. There was a reorganisation at the time and the 56th Battery was split up. Half of it joined the 58th Battery and together with the 60th, 61st and 66th Batteries it formed the 14th Brigade C.F.A., 5th Canadian Divisional Artillery.

I haven’t been able to determine where the other half of the 56th Battery went…..so it is unclear to me where your Grandfather ended up. :blink:

The Canadian First World War Diaries are online. The 14th Brigade C.F.A. can be found here.

You could try this website here for more information.

Cheers,

Michael

Guest Christine Dorsett

Thanks! I'll be sure to check that site out, and pass it on to my Dad, too. If any of you know of any good books to recommend, that would be great.

Chris

Here is a CEF-CFA website, and while not on your specific batter it should provide some interim insight into a typical CEF battery.

Borden Battery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

40th Battery, CFA - Anon Sept 2005

A brief introduction to the Battery's formation, a Roll of Honour compiled from the Canadian War Memorial, a photograph, contemporary newspaper accounts, an account of the death of Major G.H. Southam, O.C. of the 40th Battery, CFA (extracted from the War Diary), and a Roster which appears to have been compiled from the LAC's Soldiers of the First World War (1914-1918)

[Recommended by Brett Payne]

http://www.geocities.com/hambattcef/40Battery.html

Hello Christine

18 December 2005

Here is a simple example of what you can do with your late Grandfather's letters ... the example is my late Grandfather's letters. After the war he was stationed at Bonn, Germany as part of the CEF which guarded the bridges over the Rhine. With a little effort, and the war diaries, you can learn a lot about what he would have done.

Regards

Borden Battery

* Pte. Richard William Mercer - 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade

Personal Letters from the Great War: 1915 - 1919

The website publishes the personal letters of an ordinary Canadian soldier with an extensive use of footnotes to explained and/or elaborate on the background and meaning of the comments.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~b...wm_letters.html

Here is a simple example of what you can do with your late Grandfather's letters ... the example is my late Grandfather's letters. After the war he was stationed at Bonn, Germany as part of the CEF which guarded the bridges over the Rhine. With a little effort, and the war diaries, you can learn a lot about what he would have done

I'll second Borden Battery. It is always interesting to read first hand accounts of individual soldiers. In my opinion one of the most important sources of information! The War Diaries will give you a clear picture of the movements of the Battery your Grandfather served with. I had a look at the entries for the 56th, but he is not mentioned by name, more often than not, mere privates or N.C.O.’s weren’t.

Chris, always check the next page..... :D ...the 56th Battery was one of the many Batteries designated to 'feed' other Artillery units in the Field to make up for the loss of men. After being trained in England that is. These Batteries were called 'unbrigaded’ or’ Depot Batteries.'

The 55th Battery sounds logical somehow, as this Battery was also raised in the Guelph area.... His service number is interesting as it shows that he was with the 56th, but it is ever so close to the 55th as well. The range for the 55th was 322851 – 323850 and for the 56th 323851 – 324850.

Perhaps, but this is pure speculation mind, he was sent to the 55th in a hurry and (re)joined the 56th through the reorganisation of the Brigades/Batteries?

Cheers,

Michael