Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Last British woman to leave .... ?

liverpool annie

Julia Ann Turner born Wrexham 1876 married an Edward Sutton - widowed after 3 years - in 1901 she remarried a James Bond in 1917. The rumour in her family is that she was supposed to be the last British woman to leave French soil in the Great War - can this be verified somehow - any ideas of where to look please ?

Thanking you in advance!

Annie

Julia Ann Turner born Wrexham 1876 married an Edward Sutton - widowed after 3 years - in 1901 she remarried a James Bond in 1917. The rumour in her family is that she was supposed to be the last British woman to leave French soil in the Great War - can this be verified somehow - any ideas of where to look please ?

Thanking you in advance!

Annie

Annie, I suspect this is going to be very difficult, if not impossible to verify--- "last one out" is a very amorphous concept, and you would need to identify who she was, why she was there, was she in some kind of unit, and then was that unit the last one out? Etc. Also you need to define the time period-- I suspect there were women on the ground in France, at least as ambulance drivers, RAF people, etc. on the last day of the war-- therefore, nobody was "the last one to leave during the war". Or are you implying that she was the last British civilian lady to evacuate as the war started? There you might have more luck, as there should be somewhere some passport records, I would think.

At least we could try to assist more if you could give more facts about her. Doc2

Hi Annie

In the Daily Sketch August 1918 there is a photo of a woman and the caption underneath reads:

"Miss Annie Parr, the only Englishwoman able to leave Bukarest since the German occupation, has now reached London"

I wondered if your ancestor may have gained the same sort of 'notoriety' and had her story printed in the press somewhere, even if, as Doc2 pointed out, it may not have been entirely true.

Newspapers seemed to like this sort of "First person to..." "Last person to..." type of human interest story

Maybe some newspapers of the time, local or national ran the story?

I did look in the Times database but could not find a mention. What surname did she use at the time, and what year did this happen do you know? - I'll take another look if you get back with that info, if you don't have access yourself that is

Caryl