Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex Regiment ??

liverpool annie

Would Henry Sweatman who is shown on the 1881 Census as being ' a soldier stationed at Infantry Camp, St. Botolph, Colchester St Botolph, Essex.' be a soldier with 1st Battalion Essex Regiment ?? or were there many different regiments there at that time?

He was born 1861, Banbury, Oxfordshire, s/o George and Maria Sweatman of Wigginton/Bloxham - he has not been found on the 1891 census so presume that he was serving his Queen and country overseas. On the 1901 census he appears in Heysham Lancs with a wife Betty and son Harry born 1893 in Blackburn.

Any help would be appreciated - Thanking you in advance!

Annie

Edited by liverpool annie

Would Henry Sweatman who is shown on the 1881 Census as being ' a soldier stationed at Infantry Camp, St. Botolph, Colchester St Botolph, Essex.' be a soldier with 1st Battalion Essex Regiment ?? or were there many different regiments there at that time?

Can't be the 1st Bn. The Essex Regiment Annie, as it was stationed in India in 1881.....and the 2nd. Bn. The Essex Regiment was at Aldershot during the Census of 1881.

I suppose this answers your second question as well. Not sure where to go from here... :(

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael!

Thank you for that! - but my next question is - how do we find out which regiments were at Infantry Camp St. Botolph Colchester St Botolph Essex - if not the Essex? got any ideas please?

Thanks again - I appreciate your help!

Annie

Hi Annie,

I did some 'googling'. Found some general information (the barracks housed infantry, cavalry & artillery units in its time). No specific units are mentioned though...

You could try to get information from the local library here or the Essex Records Office here.

You could also repost your question under Colchester Infantry Camp St. Botolph and ask for specific details. I’m sure there are some knowledgable chaps running around this Forum.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Michael