Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hms Bonaventure

wulsten

4350 tons, an Astrea class Cruiser, armed with 2 x 6inch, 2 x 6 pounders, 4 x 3 pounders. (in 1917 reduced to 4 x 3 pounders only)

Pendant Number was N41 in 1914 and then N11 in 1918. Launched 2nd December 1892 at Devonport.

Depot ship for 6th SM Flotilla from 1914 to 1916, then Depot ship for 2nd SM Flotilla 1916 to 1918.

Sold 12th April 1920 to Forth Ship Breaking Co at Bo'ness, Firth of Forth.

Aye

Malcolm

4350 tons, an Astrea class Cruiser, armed with 2 x 6inch, 2 x 6 pounders, 4 x 3 pounders. (in 1917 reduced to 4 x 3 pounders only)

Pendant Number was N41 in 1914 and then N11 in 1918. Launched 2nd December 1892 at Devonport.

Depot ship for 6th SM Flotilla from 1914 to 1916, then Depot ship for 2nd SM Flotilla 1916 to 1918.

Sold 12th April 1920 to Forth Ship Breaking Co at Bo'ness, Firth of Forth.

Aye

Malcolm

cheers for info

Additional info:

After the 2nd Flotilla (Tyne) was disbanded in February 1918, BONAVENTURE went to Gibraltar as depot-ship for Special Service Flotilla 4.

Oliver

• 9 months later...
Launched 2nd December 1892 at Devonport.

Depot ship for 6th SM Flotilla from 1914 to 1916

I know this is a little off topic, but do you know when she became a submarine depot ship?

Could she have been depot ship for the very first RN submarines, c1902?

If not, which was the very first depot ship?

Hello

When A 1 was lost in 1904, her tender was HAZARD.

From Conways ALL THE WORLD'S FIGHTING SHIPS 1860 to 1905, BONAVENURA became a depot ship for submarines in 1910.

All best

don

Hello

When A 1 was lost in 1904, her tender was HAZARD.

From Conways ALL THE WORLD'S FIGHTING SHIPS 1860 to 1905, BONAVENURA became a depot ship for submarines in 1910.

All best

don

Thanks Don. That's interesting.

I'm researching the career of my great-uncle, said by family tradition to be involved with the first subs. And, yes, his service record puts him on HAZARD in 1902. Just before that on BONAVENTURE.

I presume the sailor's service record would show the name of the depot ship and not the name of the sub. So I can't get much further.

All best

Bart

Hello Bart

You are correct in saying a service record would list the depot ship and not necessarily the respective submarine. If it is listed, the submarine would be in parenthesis after the depot ship. In the early days, the submarine pretty much had the same status as a ship's boat.

I know from researching the pre war accidents from the ledgers, the casualties are shown to the depot ship sometimes without listing the submarine.

All best

don

I'm still wondering if Bonaventure could have been USED as a submarine depot ship right from the beginning of subs, and only later MODIFIED and reclassed as a depot ship.

Presumably the order of events from c1900 would be:

1 develop submarines

2 discover it is a good idea to use a conventional ship as a depot ship for the submarines - so use existing ships X and Y for that purpose.

3 (after some years experience) discover that a depot ship ought to have certain features - so modify X and Y or others to give them those features - in fact make them into a whole new class of ship, submarine depot ship.

I suppose I might check out this theory from the logs of Bonaventure and Hazard at the National Archives.

Bart

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks Don. That's interesting.

I'm researching the career of my great-uncle, said by family tradition to be involved with the first subs. And, yes, his service record puts him on HAZARD in 1902. Just before that on BONAVENTURE.

I presume the sailor's service record would show the name of the depot ship and not the name of the sub. So I can't get much further.

All best

Bart

BART - givn a NAME I may be able to produce a record. Sadsac