Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Atkinson

Simon R

Dear All

I picked up the papers for Harry Atkinson who served both WWI/WWII. If anyone can add anything else, please do, I know there's a few Leeds Rifles bods out there.

b. 10.10.1898

WWI: 202663 Pte

8th West Yorks. Regt. attached 252nd Tunnelling Coy RE

Carter before war

2nd Class shot

Bomber

Enlisted 29.1.16 approx. 2 mths. after 18th b'day.

Disch. 20.2.1919

[also included is a nice application to join the Church Lads Brigade KRRC btn. (New Army) by HA 'late Pte. of Buslingthorpe 2943 company, Leeds, of the 1st Btn. Ripon regiment, am desirous of enlisting in the CLB battalion, KRRC of the New Army...' no date, wonder if he tried to join up underage into CLB/KRRC then

finally joins West Yorks at later date?]

WWII: 1486984 Pte.

Enlisted 9.10.1939 (the day before his 42nd birthday) into RA, duration, regular army

Subsequently Pioneer Corp

Medical class 'C' 22.5.40

class 'C' 12.3.43

class 'E' 12.8.43

Refuses to be inoculated 21.12.42

Disch. 16.9.43 according to Para 390 (xvi) RR40 - ceasing to fulfill Army physical requirements

Application for military pension 14.9.43 on ground of 'psychoneurosis' refused.

Portrait photo. WWI

Group photo WWII

(will post up at later date).

Any further information greatly appreciated, if HA 'belongs' to anyone, please let me know.

Also: relative Pte. J.S. Atkinson of 2/7th West Yorks regt. KIA 19.3.17, buried Ancre St Omer, VIII E 29

252 TC RE operated in the Beaumont Hamel and Redan Ridge sectors for most of 1916; they dug the Hawthorn Ridge Mine, and the access to the Sunken Lane, plus a number of Russian Saps used on 1st July in this area. When the Sunken Lane was annexed after 1st July, they built the deep dugouts there. They then blew the Hawthorn Mine a second time on 13th November; depending on when he arrived at the front, your man may have been involved in some of this?

I'll check MIC for entry to theatre.

Thanks for the info., much appreciated.

It's an interesting set of papers - church lads, West Yorks, Tunnelling coy, RA, pioneers - a proper clutch of regts/corps there.

I like range of information they offer too - a unique insight into a unique life. I do not envy him going through 2 world wars, especially enlisting in 1939 at the age of 41 and having 5 children at home. Presumably times were hard - a labourer from Sheepscar joining up for the money? Or is that far too much of a C21st mercenary attitude? Whither patriotism?

Anyway, it didn't do him much good - psychoneurosis doesn't sound like much fun. And no pension to boot!

Of course, the problem is his papers won't be available and I don't think I can prove I'm NOK really. Still, there's enough there to go on.

Any help with H. Atkinson or J.S.Atkinson much appreciated.