Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coldstream Guards Ranks

Coldstreamer

Hello

Any one explain to me the origin of why the CG have L/Sgt in between Cpl and Sgt ?

Ian

Ian,

All Guards and infantry regiments had among them Lance Sergeants, who infact were a senior corporal's who were on the battalion roster in-line to becoming sergeant's. There were so many Lance Sergeant's to Corporal's on the battalion establishment, but I can't remember the exact number which is laid down in establishment regulations.

Graham.

Hello

That explains why there are so few casualties to Corporals in the CG

Cheers

Ian

It shouldn't. Of the ten full corporals in a company [1914], two could be made up to Lance Sergeant and paid as such. That gives a ration of 1 in 5 at most.

LSgt ceased to be an appointment for a corporal in 1946 except for the Guards Brigade.

Hello

I still dont know why so few cpls got killed then....

Did they have a less risky job ? Perhaps they stood at the back in the attacks encouraging the men on ?

Ian

A search of SDGW using the abbreviation CPL, shows 32 but if you include the abbreviation L/SGT that figure goes up to 101.The problem is with SDGW is that there are a number of alternative abbreviations and of course there are also acting ranks.

It seems to me at least, you will have to make comparisons with line regiments as well. For instance the abbreviation CPL for the Gloucestershire Regt shows 357, however they fielded sixteen active service battalions compared to the Coldstream Guards four.

Terry Reeves