Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Monmouth regiment

welshdoc

From the Monmouth museum website

"

During the First World War the Regiment provided 76 officers and 2113 men for service on the Western Front and also in Italy, Gallipoli and the Middle East. They formed four Siege Companies, two Railway Companies and two Army Troops Companies, while a Depot Company in Monmouth recruited and trained new volunteers. Siege companies concentrated on fortifications, Railway Companies helped to run an extensive narrow gauge network all over the battlefield, and Army Troops Companies provided infrastructure to assist the forward passage of supplies. Medals awarded to the Regiment included 5 DSOs, 8 MCs, 12 DCMs and 16 MMs. "

looking at the national archives there are 14000+ mics for the monmouthshire regiment and 28 or so for the monmouth regiment. Can any of the monmouth regt resident experts please tell me which is the (nearer) correct number.

Also which battallion would the number 265705 be in

Thanks Gareth

The 14,000 Odd figure would be closest but by no means the final figure,that would only apply to those men who enlisted into the Regiment & then either proceeded overseas with them or as part of another unit,to which they had been posted.you then have those men who elected to remain @ home{TF could do that ,especially @ the early stages} & those who served @ home stations[there were 10 Battalions of the Monmouthshire Regiment[1/1st;2/1st;1/2nd;2/2nd;1/3rd;2/3rd;3/1st;3/2nd;3/3rd; & 4th Battalions,only the 1st 3[1/1;1/2;1/3] Battalions having overseas Service.]So the number could be effectively much higher.

The 265*** Number would appear to be 1/2nd Battalion.

As a guide the Cambridgeshire Regiment,a Similar TF Only set up,but only with just 4 Battalions,records just over 5600 Names on the Medal Index Cards,however the Regimental History records that over 10000 Men "went through" the Regiment during WW1.

Edited by HarryBettsMCDCM

Gareth

As stated by HarryBetts 265705 is a 2nd Battalion number.

The Monmouthshire Free Press in 1919 (the local newspaper for the 2nd Battalion) estimated that 3,900 men served with the 2nd Battalion and 180 Officers.

On my database of the 2nd Mons I have about 3,200, so a few more to find!

Regards

David

Thanks both for the information, ive not done any research on my man yet apart from name Thomas J Long. Im however starting to research a monmouth junior officer which is getting interesting, will post details when I have put at least part of the story together. Gareth

Gareth,

On my database on the 3rd Monmouth's I have so far around 1700 names so I also have some way to go but if I can be of any assistance please don't hesitate to ask I'm always happy to help. :D

Regards

Martyn

Thanks Martyn, The officer Im researching is George Davey Howells. He was I beleive though, 1st Battalion and died with the Cheshires in 1918. He was a Newport lad. Its his family history which has caught my interest. I will post the details when I get them if my research works out. Gareth

Look forward to that Gareth thanks

Regards

Martyn