Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/7th Middlesex Regiment

Hambo

Given that my local memorial is in East Surrey (and is small) I was surprised to find three officers, not only from the Middlesex, but all with the same battalion. Their deaths were spread throughout the war and I am trying to find a connection to the area l, they are the only candidates I have, given that their names are a complete match with CWGC and ODGW. Any details of their biography or what the battalion was engaged in at the various time of their deaths would be very much appreciated as I've got all bar two men on my memorial, this would give me the opportunity to move on the next one!!!!!!

They are

2nd Lt Theodore Trevor harris 4.10.16

Captain William Allen Keen Died of wounds 6.9.18

and Captain Arthur Clive Keen Killed in action 10th of May 1915

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks Hambo

2nd Lt T T Harris joined the 1/7th Middlesex when the 2/7th Middlesex was disbanded on the 13th June 1916. He was killed at the Battle of Le Transloy. He was wounded on the 1st October when the battalion moved forward at 1515 hrs to establish a series of posts 700 yards forward of the front line.

Capt A C Keen had been with the 7th Middlesex pre-war and, as a 2nd Lt, had been in a colour party when the King presented colours to 12 Territorial regiments of Dragoons and 96 Territorial infantry battalions on June 19th 1908. He was then part of the Highgate company of the battalion. On July 24th 1908 he was part of a Guard of Honour to the Prince of Wales at the prize giving of the National Rifle Association at Bisley.

On the outbreak of war he remained in the UK to raise the second battalion at the depot at Hornsey acting as Adjutant. He later transferred to the 16th Middlesex and on May 8th 1917 visited the 1/7th Middx at Tilloy-les-Mofflaines. The CO of the 1/7th Middx was to make an application for him to return to the battalion but he was killed two days later when out with a working party of the 16th Middx near to Monchy-le-Preux.

Capt W A Keen moved to the Somerset Light Infantry and died while serving with them.

Can't solve the East Surrey connection but hope this helps.

2nd Lt Theodore Trevor harris 4.10.16

Captain William Allen Keen Died of wounds 6.9.18

and Captain Arthur Clive Keen Killed in action 10th of May 1915

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks Hambo

Private. William Allan Keen. from Inns of Court OTC to be 2/lieut 7th Middx. TF . 14.3.15.

2/Lt, staff officer graded Lieut 2class, Middx Regt TF. (Rail Transport Officer) 1.1.16.

,, ,, ,, ,, HQ.ADM, Services Dept. 25.2.17

promoted Lieut 8.5.17.

To be Temp Captain whilst attached 14.5.17.

K.I.A, 6.9.18.

This is the interesting bit, his father was a chartered accountant born in Holloway London, living in 1901 at Limpsfield Surrey.

Are the Keens brothers as Arthur Clive Keen was indeed born in Limpsfield, Surrey.......? would explain memorial if baptized in the parish.

Tom

P.S to all members AFC 0 ... CFC 2

Edited by MIDMED

Midmed

You're a star, many many thanks for making the connection, it really is very much appreciated, another piece in a rapidly finishing jigsaw

Hambo

Your welcome.

Can’t help but wonder, the younger keen and Harris (Harris parents living in Limpsfield) were friends, schoolmates possibly.... joined the older keens battalion, all three sadly killed. In those days the Middlesex County stretched all the way into the centre of town, it wasn’t at all unusual coming from London or the Home Counties to serve in one of the many battalions affiliated to Middx county. The 7th Middx TF Battalion had a great reputation for its military bearing and hard work.

So many long forgotten tales of hope, comradeship and wartime tragedy were lost forever when the post war generation died away These memories are now only recorded as anonymous names on are memorials waiting for blokes like yourself to take more than just a glimpse when passing in a car. Well whatever the truth i feel you are doing good work

Let us know the results of your work......

Good luck

Tom..........

The 7th Middlesex did recruit from particular parts of London. Pre-war they had a different company structure but, broadly, 'A' Company was linked closely with Hampstead and Highgate, 'B' Company was based at Enfield, ‘C’ Company recruited from Hornsey and ‘D’ Company from Tottenham. Perhaps the father's Holloway link suggests a pre-Territorial link which the older Keen followed. Just a thought.

Thanks to everyone. Only a week ago I had nothing on these two brothers because they are named on the memorial by their second name ie Clive and Allen. Harris is listed as Trevor which threw me off for a bit.

Midmed one question, what is HQ ADM, services department?

Thanks Hambo

Hello Hambo

I believe it’s the obvious, (If i,m wrong we will hear about it soon enough) ADMinistrational service department, General Head-Quarters B.E.F. France. May have been at Amiens at this time.

The reference to staff Lt 2nd class mirrors the status of a trained administrator or bookkeeper in the civil service. As an R T O Officer Logistics and the Railways may have been his field.

Happy Xmas

Tom......