Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFus numbering

Kevin Lynott

Are there any RFus experts who could help with the numbering in the regiment.

I have a man whose number was prefixed with GS/, is there any significance to this? does it show when he joined, transferred?

Thanks in anticpation

Kevin

It is my understanding that the G/ or GS/ prefix was assigned to the many Service Battalions of the Royal Fusiliers, i.e. 'General Service'.

Unfortunately it doesn't give any indication as to when a man joined up, transferred etc. as it was used for the duration.

Steve

Are there any RFus experts who could help with the numbering in the regiment.

I have a man whose number was prefixed with GS/, is there any significance to this? does it show when he joined, transferred?

Thanks in anticpation

Kevin

Interesting to note i have researched a pte g bonham r fus gs65608 and if you check the original medal roll associated with the mic cards it the r fus batts often gives the dates he served abroad enabling you also to check the wo95 war diary entries for when he served abroad

Kevin

What's your man's name and number?

I have photographed medal roll entries where I was searching for 25th Battalion RF in particular, you never know your luck I may have him as well.

Steve

Steve,

thankyou

Richard Fredrick Hewitt. RFus Pte. GS13845.

With Colours 23/2/15 to 14/7/16.

France 26/4/16 to 26/5/16.

On the 11/5/16 he was buried in a trench which collapsed under shellfire.

Sent to 74th Field Ambulance by m.o. 1st RFus with Shell shock

12/5 to No. 8 Cas. clearing stn. To Etaples.

26/5 to 4th London General Hospital.

Kevin

Kevin

No joy I'm afraid, the medal rolls that I photographed ended at GS/13803, probably about two pages short of the entry you need.

I've also had a rethink about what I said the GS/ signified, I'm now of the opinion that my previous answer shouldn't have been limited to the Service Battalions. The GS/ prefix should actually apply to any soldier 'signing on' for the duration of the war only, regardless of the battalion he was posted to.

Soldiers with this prefix undoubtedly ended up in the Service Battalions but it was also quite possible that they could have been posted to a Regular Battalion. Looking back at the rolls I'd copied there were men with the GS/ prefix assigned to the 2nd Battalion which was obviously a Regular Battalion.

Your best bet is to have look at the Medal Rolls (or ask somebody to have a look for you) to get the details you need.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve,

thanks it does make a bit more sense, as we know there were fatalaties the day he was injured and four men out of nine RFus shown KIA that day were from the 1st Bn, plus he was sent to the rear by the MO from the 1st Bn which points towards him being in the 1st Bn

Kevin

The GS prefix was given to any RF soldier who enlisted for the war; three years or duration. This applies to volunteers and conscripts alike. Men with this prefix were posted to every battalion of the regiment; although many of the lower numbers were original recruits in some of the service battalions.