Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Cards

keatley

They sound like issue date{or re~issue/replacement/duplicate issue dates}is there any other indications of this{a look @ the Roll Pages would help clear this up}

I agree with the above post, sounds as if somebody, at the very least, made an enquiry about the medals on 20th October 1953 but more likely to be the issue, replacement etc.

Can you post an image of the card to see if there are any other clues?

As the previous post suggests a check of the medal roll at the NA may reveal more.

Steve

Edited by SteveE

Just happened to be searching the Times Casualty lists and typed in Keatley.

There's a first time for the search engine to find an Other Ranks casualty, and this is it.

The Times of 25th August 1916 records "Keatley, 15709, J." of the Royal Scots Fusiliers as being reported Wounded. The delay on the publication of the Wounded lists was generally about a month, though the major Battle of the Somme casualties would mean that the casualaties were more spread out around this time. Anyway he was probably wounded some time during July.

There are approximately 150 wounded casualties to the Regiment (could be more than one battalion) in that issue.

Could be when he had to transfer to the Labour Corps?

I'm no expert on Labour Corps numbers but the LC number strikes me as a later one, so he may not have transferred due to his 1916 wounds.

Of course, if his Service Record still exists then this guess is unnesessary.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Jerry,

You need a library card number from a participating library service.

If you go to your County Library website and go to Online Services it will tell you what Services they subscribe to. It will probably be under the heading Infotrac.

You will want the Times Online Archive. Some libraries subscribe some don't.

Looking at the Warwickshire website I have a feeling they don't subscribe (you might just get the modern Times), but give it a try and ask the library service if they do.

Steve.

Steve

Thanks for the info - that is perhaps one of the most useful bits of info I've received in a long time! I look forward to countless hours of frustration trying to find elusive individuals now!

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Could I be real cheeky and ask you to do a search for James Keatley's younger brother, Henry Keatley... also Royal Scots Fusiliers, KIA (medal card attached)....died October 23, 1914 (Ypres(Menin Gate) Memorial)

Any info on him , regiment, battle ...anything at all!

Thanks so much,

Paul

HenryKeatley.bmp

Henry Keatley was with the 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers in 7th Division (They were part of a Division of units brought back from around the Empire at the outbreak of War). The Division landed at Zeebrugge on 6-10-1914 (as per Henry's MIC).

http://www.1914-1918.net/7div.htm

The 7th Division were part of IV Army Corps under General Henry Rawlinson during the 1st Battle of Ypres from the 18th October 1914.

A description of the earlier stages of the battle is here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/bat7.htm

Steve.

Thanks so much for all this info Steve.

Paul

Henry Keatley was with the 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers in 7th Division (They were part of a Division of units brought back from around the Empire at the outbreak of War). The Division landed at Zeebrugge on 6-10-1914 (as per Henry's MIC).

http://www.1914-1918.net/7div.htm

The 7th Division were part of IV Army Corps under General Henry Rawlinson during the 1st Battle of Ypres from the 18th October 1914.

A description of the earlier stages of the battle is here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/bat7.htm

Steve.

Still tying to locate another 2 Keatley brothers from ww1.

John(born 1887) and Thomas(born 1886)

All brothers were born and bred in Glasgow.

Henry and James both served in the Royal Scots Fusiliers.

How likely are the following regiments for Glasgow based recruitment?

Medal card of Keatley, John

Corps: The Queen's Regiment

Regiment No: T/2202

Medal card of Keatley, John

Corps: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Regiment No: 28498

Medal card of Keatley, Thomas

Corps: Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

Regiment No: 15338

Thanks,

Paul

Medal card of Keatley, Thomas