Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Batley Grammar School Master - Herbert Pearsall MC

delta

Herbert Pearsall won his MC at Flers commanding one of the original tanks. He survived the war and returned to his teaching post at Batley Grammar School, only to die in March 1919, as one of the many victims of the Spanish influenza epidemic.

Are there any old boys on the Forum who know more of his civilian life?

Stephen

I am engaged in study of a school memorial (Ermysted's Grammar School, Skipton); this includes old boys and masters of the School.

One of my most valuable sources is the School's magazine - published 3 times a year. You may have to contact Batley School or request them from the local Batley library, if one does exist, that is. School such as this may well have a good collection of photographs, including the staff.

Sorry I can't be of any more specific help. Your subject sounds of great interest; best of luck with it.

steve

:) Steve - thanx for your helpful response; I contacted Batley GS for help, just as the schools broke up but anticipate that they will not reply before the New Year.

Then I had a thought - there is so much info on so many different units/schools/ locations etc from the many Pals on this Forum, that I might just strike lucky if I posted a thread.

No answer yet but.............. you never know

Here's hoping

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

I have received an e-mail from Brian Battye, headmaster Batley Grammar School and thoughts Pals might be interested.

Pearsall was educated at Emmanuel College, Cambridge graduating initially in Mathematics and then in Law in 1912. He was appointed to Batley School in August 1912 and left the school to join up in April 1915. He states that Pearsall died of pneumonia, rather than Spanish influenza, but confirms it was within four weeks of returning to his life as a schoolmaster.

Mr Battye has also offered to look at archives material.

On on

Stephen :)

Another e-mail from Mr Battye after I sent him details of Pearsall's action at Flers; he will be specifically using Pearsall as the subjetc of his address at his school's Remembrance Sunday service.

Thanx to all who have helped me on this trail

On.....on......

Stephen