Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Died in the Great War

Grey Squirrel

Couple of questions, if I may...

Without wishing to open up the SAD debate, can I just ask others more experienced than I whether the Soldiers Died in the Great War books/CDs include or excludes those soldiers court-martialled and for whom a death sentence was carried out?

More generally, I was under the impression that SDGW included deaths from 4 Aug 1914 to 11 Nov 1918. However, when looking at the CD, the "Died Date" search options allow 1 Jan 1914 to 31 Dec 1921. I assume that there are no deaths pre-dating 4th August but there do seem to be plenty of entries after the Armistice. Does anyone know what the genuine cut-off point is at the end of the War, i.e. the last entry recorded on SDGW? I believe that it's not 31st Dec 1921.

Thanks very much.

The book covers state 1914~1919,I believe that some executed men are included [without cause of death given] & others not

Edited by HarryBettsMCDCM

SDGW was compiled from records submitted by regiments and,as such, is dependent on the information available to them at the time. You will, for example, often find men who died of wounds, after 11/11/18, are not included. Similarly SAD men may or may not be in the record.

The last date of death on the CD is 25/3/21.

SDGW was compiled from records submitted by regiments and,as such, is dependent on the information available to them at the time. You will, for example, often find men who died of wounds, after 11/11/18, are not included. Similarly SAD men may or may not be in the record.

The last date of death on the CD is 25/3/21.

Thanks, both, for your replies - much appreciated!

Best wishes.

Grey Squirrel

Also beware of some of the dates on SDGW after 1918 as I came across quite a few, and when checked against CWGC - SDGW had got the year wrong !

Glyn