Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Going to Verdun + Cambrai Jan06....5 requests taken

aramsay

Between Friday 6th Jan. and Monday 9th Jan. I'll be taking a trip to Verdun and Cambrai area, and would be willing to take 5 requests for photos, or check something out for Forum Pals / Amis.

In Verdun area, I specifically hope to visit Montfaucon, Bois des Caures (Driant sites), Bethincourt (Cote de Gercourt) and maybe Les Eparges / Combreshohe.

In Cambrai area, I plan to stick to area around Welsh Ridge / La Vaquerie......so, in the Villers-Plouich / Masnieres / Banteux triangle.

Send a note on the forum first, and if we reach 5 do-able requests, I'll post a closing note, then contact you directly to get details of what you need / want.

Slainte, Alan

Martin,

if you have'nt been before Verdun is a real eyeopening battlefield to visit. I visited for the first time last month. Just as an info point all the main sites such as the museums and forts, ossuaire etc are closed in January.

Best regards

Iain

Apart from the Ossuary, Memorial and forts being closed at Verdun in January, a big de-mining task will be going on too. A new muslim memorial costing half a million euros is to be built roughly at the junction of the roads to Douaumont village and Ft. Douaumont, i.e. close to the cemetery by the Ossuary. It was cleared during the autumn in the old way using a horse to drag the logs out and according to the local newspaper, around 1000 shells were identified using metal detectors. This has all to be cleared in January and the people in the two houses nearby (the restaurant called l'Abri du pelerin and the house opposite) will be evacuated from 8 - 4.30 every day. They will be building a berm around the site and I don't know how it will affect access to the fort and the village - indeed, to other places in the central area of the battlefield as well.

Christina

• 3 weeks later...

Careful if it snows, Alan. We're just back from 3 days at Verdun and there was about 6" of snow. No roads cleared, not even in the city. It makes for slow and slippery driving. If you've got a 4 x 4, you'll be OK but it wasn't fun in a Clio!

Christina