Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CEF Circumstance of Death file

Terry

Those of you who already know about this file please forgive me, but I have only become aware of it recently. Previously the Canadian National Archives would send an individual's file, but apparently this document was not retained in a pers file but kept separately.

The files that have survived cover all CEF deaths in action from "A" to "Sims", so if your casualty's name is Ward you are out of luck. Most entries are basic, actually no more than can be found in the pers file, but in about one in three entries, there are amazing stories. Following are some examples from my collection:

(a) "... he was wounded while taking part in an attack at St.Julien, and was carried along with several other wounded to a barn nearby. A shell came through the roof of the barn and he was so severely wounded in the stomach that he died shortly afterwards." (6852 Pte.A.Mathieson,1st Bn., KIA 23 April,1915 2nd Ypres)

(B) "After an attack made in the vicinity of Courcelette he was found in No Mans Land by Imperial troops totally blind, and suffering from a gun shot wound in the head. He was taken care of and ultimately conveyed to No.3 General Hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries."(59463 LSjt.F.W.Hie,21st Bn. DOW 22 Sept.,1916 Courcelette)

© "... was in charge of a Lewis Gun and was training the gun on an enemy machine gun post when he was hit in the head by a bullet from the rifle of an enemy sniper and killed." (799053 Pte.A.Davidson,15th Bn. KIA 2 Sept.,1918

Drocourt-Queant Canal)

I'm not sure why the little happy face appeared. Certainly nothing very happy about this poor man's fate.

Terry,

It's because you typed a b followed by a ). This is the shorthand used to put in that particular little face!

You can edit your post and change it for a ( then a space then a b then a space then a ) - - - ( b )

Tom

Paul,

Arnie Kay, a researcher in Ottawa akay@comnet.ca can track them down for you. As I stated earlier not every file ends up giving you key information. The files for the names Sims to Z are missing, and apparently if your man was wounded and ending up dying later in a hospital he may not be listed. However, for relatively minimal cost it is an excellent gamble!

Terry - Cheers for that. I have used Arnie in the past and found him very good. I'll get onto him and see if he can track down this extra info on one of 'my' men.

Hi Terry:

Thanks for your post. I had always assumed you got the complete package when you ordered a man's records from the NAC. Can you order the 'Circumstances of Death' file from the NAC or do you need to go through a third party to do this for you?

Thanks again.

Garth

Garth,

From having spoken to two researchers, my suggestion is to use them. The people at the Archives are jammed up for work, and in many cases don't really know what a collector or historian might be looking for. A friend of mine, for example, phoned and asked them not to copy the pay records. The reply seemed to be that it was all or nothing. Their people were not trolling through the files and plucking out items; they were simply copying the file.

Until recently, you could obtain a file for $5.00, but now you are charged by the page so a file can run to $20.00-30.00. I have found it more cost effective and gratifying to use someone like Arnie Kay, a researcher who knows exactly what to look for. Also, now that the Archives are charging higher rates, it is actually cheaper to use Arnie. He can also access the Circumstance of Death files directly. I am not even sure the Archives people are aware of it.

Hi Terry:

I've never really minded the bump up in price for obtaining service records from the folks at the NAC. For 40 cents a page (plus postage) I still think we're getting a deal. :D

Also, I've never been selective about a man's service record; I've always wanted his complete package. The interesting point you've raised is for several men I don't in fact have their complete package! Thanks to your heads up I'll contact Arnie Kay and have him find their Circumstances of Death files for me. It'll be interesting to see what new information can be discovered.

Garth

• 3 months later...

Hey Garth, did you ever get anywhere with this?

David Seymour is looking for details on a man named Wilson, so I guess he is out of luck, but I have some "G" surnames. I wondered if Arnie got anything useful for you.

Peter

Peter,

Have we already met on the Canuck forum?

I am indeed on the trail of another one of the Thetford Grammar School Old Boys. This time it is Leslie C Wilson.

SURNAME: Wilson

C/NAMES: Leslie C.

DOB: 5/92

UNIT: 13th Bn., Canadian Infantry (Quebec Regt.)

DATE OF DEATH: 26/5/15

AGE AT DEATH: 23

NUMBER: 24413

MEMORIAL: Ghent City Cemetery, Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium

PARENTS: son of William Campbell Wilson and Mary Elizabeth Wilson, of 54, St. Nicholas St., Thetford, Norfolk.

TGS: 1901 – 1907

NAof C ref: RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 10466 - 28

Presumably there will be something in this Service Record, but not the Circumstances of Death file?

Any idea how much the transaction will cost? Obviously as a school we are on a tight budget.

Any help, as always, most gratefully received.

Regards,

David

Peter,

Have we already met on the Canuck forum?

Oui, c'est moi. I had remembered this thread and was hoping to help you out. Alas, if only his name was Wilson C. Leslie :D we would be in luck!

Peter (aka Filthy Pierre)

Peter,

Thanks for the interest.

Leslie was one of seven, two of whom were also killed. Ronald with 2nd Batt. Rhodesia Regt. in Tanzania on 13/3/17 and Gavain with the Norfolks on the Somme on 4/9/16.

It was a heavy loss for the family and for one small school.

Regards,

David