Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

More RAMC questions

deadin

(I've started a new topic on this subject as I didn't want to hi-jack the thread I had originally posted in.)

I've been researching a Temp Captain Charles F. Drew,M.B. RAMC and have run up against the proverbial "brick wall" I'm told that the records for "Temporary " appointments do not exist. So far this is what I have gleaned:

19 March 1915- Appointed Temp Lieutenant --- L.G. 12 May 1915 (Supp)

1 June 1915 – Entered France --- Medal Index Card

19 March 1916 – Appointed Temp Captain --- L.G. 10 April 1916 (Supp)

24 Dec1917 – Mentioned in Despatches (L.G. of same date?) Medal Index Card

23 Jan 1918 –Relinquished commission on account of illness. – L.G. 22 Jan. 1918 (Supp)

1 Jan 1919- Awarded the Military Cross (No. 9, Field Amb) - L.G. 1 Jan. 1919 (Supp)

7 Nov 1924 ? Associated with Victory, British , Star (1915) & Emblems on MIC

Also shown as on Officer roll 141 Pgs. 204b and 338 .

No.9, Field Ambulance.

Joined 3rd Division Aug 1914

Left 3rd Division 28 Aug 1915

Joined Guards Division 28 Aug 1915

Can anyone tell me what the "Associated with" reference above may indicate?

In response to Joe Walsh:

I have tried the War Diaries in Long, Long Trail and found nothing. Are there other unit histories? And, if so, how do I get to them?

I contacted Keough Barracks and was told they had nothing on Temporary Officers.

I do not have his medals but do have his sidearm. I have been thing of picking up a set of replica medals and making a display of the pistol, holster and whatever history I can uncover.

Can anyone help me with any further information? Especially with the Officer rolls, as I don't seem to have access to them.

Thanks,

Hi

Firstly, his service file will, almost certainly, be at the National Archives. The person who told you that they don't exist for "temp" appointments is wrong. Most commissions during the war were "temporary" i.e. for the duration of the war.

The War Diary of 9 Field Ambulance will also be at the Archives.

I don't understand the "associated with" references. These are the service medals to which he was entitled. I think officers had to apply for them to be sent (which is possibly why there's a 1924 date).

john

Firstly, his service file will, almost certainly, be at the National Archives. The person who told you that they don't exist for "temp" appointments is wrong. Most commissions during the war were "temporary" i.e. for the duration of the war.

Sadly not. RAMC officer service records are rarer than hens teeth, and I have run into the same block when researching the RAMC officers with the 19th Londons.

WO 338/22 is the index of RAMC officers commissioned between 1871 and 1922 but does not include those awarded temporary comissions.

Doctors given temporary commissions to get them into the RAMC formed a discrete group and their service records formed a separate class of records (the 24 series). According to William Spencer of the NA this class was destroyed after 1920. (see his book on service records)

Charles