Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with another German postcard -- Somme??

joerookery

I have been so impressed with the recent thread on a postcard translation. I would now ask help from everyone on this one. I have plastered this picture around several places, but after reading Jack Sheldon's book. I have my doubts, if I have identified the unit properly. I will put up a series of pictures, and I can send a high density scan of the back of the postcard by e-mail if that will help you.

The picture in question is really quite important for helmet collectors. The gentlemen with the Pickelhaubes are wearing something known as a scroll Filz helmet. Traditionally, collectors believe that these helmets were only used in Serbia. I thought I got a partial translation of this card, which identified it on the Somme. Frise in specific. I could be entirely wrong.

I have had a hard time identifying the number on the scroll. Initially I thought it was Regiment 51, but then I came to the conclusion that was infantry Regiment, 31. Jack's book in relation to that battle turned my attention back to 51. What you think?

post-4227-1134671910.jpg

post-4227-1134671970.jpg

Any help on the translation or unit identification would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I cannot read this sign that is being held at all.

post-4227-1134672170.jpg

post-4227-1134672187.jpg

The text on the Postcard in modern German:

Die besten Grüße sendet Euch Michael.

Bin noch gesund und munter, sende

anbei eine Photographie zur

Erinnerung an die

Stürmer von Frieße [= Frise] an der Somme.

in attempt to translation:

The best greetings is sending you Michael.

I am well healthy and agile yet; send

in attachment a photograph for

memory to the

conquerors of Frise at the Somme.

Thanks! That is perfect now what do you think about the #? 31 or 51? Jack's o[pinion will be most interesting.

Thanks again.

If you search on Frise you'll return a few posts. Some seem to have had pics (which must be in transition). Check the Forum archive if it appears there are some you might be interested in.

Also - Malte were any of your post pics from Frise?

Andy

Also - Malte were any of your post pics from Frise?

Andy

Sorry not yet, Andy.

But a Frise-topic is planned and will be started next Year.

With best regards

Malte

Joe

Your work on these helmets and knowledge about them is just amazing but, as I think you yourself have decided, it's got to be a picture of men of the Koeniglich 4. Niederschlesischen Infanterie Regiment Nr. 51 Malte's transliteration confirms it. No other infantry unit in 11th Infantry Division (and there is no doubt that they were the ones who 'stormed' Frise) could be mistaken for it. The other numbers involved were 10, 11 & 38. Even if it had been IR 31, it would still not support the Serbia theory, because that regiment was part of 18th Infantry Division which spent a large part of the war until early July 1916 when it arrived on the Somme in Champagne.

Sorry I can't offer any suggestion to explain the anomaly but maybe someone else can cast some light on it.

Jack

Hi - speaking purely as an amateur - the translation reads or sounds as though one of the pictured soldiers is sending the card of himself and some mates to people though know on the Somme, which of course puts the Picklehaubs anywhere but the Somme. Just my opinion - thought I'd join in!!

Nick.

From the picture, I would have bet my bottom dollar on the number being 31, not 51.

Regards

Steve

Malte is correct in that one of the translations of [/i]zur Erinnerung an... is 'in memory of', but it is not its only meaning and it is not the one which applies in this case. It has another meaning which crops up all the time on postcards and photographs of the Great War and that is, 'a souvenir of'. I have another example in my collection of a group of men standing behind a written caption, using this phrase. In that case the caption translated as 'A souvenir of a group of Feldgrauen, who have not washed for fifteen days'.

There is no doubt in my mind that this is a photograph of some of the men who attacked Frise on 28 January 1916, that one of them was called Michael and that he sent the postcard. They could only come from IR 51, or IR 38. The second figure is definitely not an 8, so that leaves IR 51 as the favourite and Joe to try to explain away the problem with the helmet.

Translation is all about nuances and shades of meaning. English has a far larger vocabulary than German, so it is common for there to be more than one meaning in English of the same word or phrase in German. In this case the reading makes a crucial difference.

Jack

Just thought I would agree with the 31 helmet number.......

Not a 51 at all

Could it be Field Artillery Regt 31 part of the 21 Armee Corps.

John

post-207-1135187095.jpg

Looks like a 31 to me as well

Edited by drummer

Thank you so much for your replies! We just returned from a cruise. Jack's book has me leaning square to 51. I thought it said 31. There are to my knowledge no existing examples of this helmet. The lack of spike is consistant but not its appearance on the western front. Where was IR31 at this time? Frankly this is exiting collector stuff! Merry Christmas.

VR/Joe

Definitlty 31. Was does the card being held up in the picture say?

Gunner Bailey

First of all a very Happy Christmas to all followers of the thread. Here's a couple of thoughts to ponder as you get up from the groaning Yuletide board and let it all digest. 1. The written content of the card is absolutely consistent with it having been sent by a member of IR 51. 2. Look carefully at the disputed figure. Is it a 3? Is it a 5? I think that it can be read as 5 and, if it really was 3, it would be a slightly odd shape. The rounded section at the bottom of the figure is missing when the photograph is enlarged. If a small section of the left hand part of a 5 was also missing and you fill it mentally, then it could be a 5. As I mentioned in an earlier reply IR 31 had nothing to do with storming Frise. Those who did were highly delighted with themselves after the event and sent all sorts of messages home about it - I quoted one of them in my book. Anyway take another look and see if my explanation might fit.

Jack