Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur Peters

bbicmatt

New to the forum, started off searching my family tree and came across one Arthur Peters who died 1918 in Mesopotamia, remembered in the Tehran war memorial.

Coinceidence that my wife who is Iranian used to live in the same road as the cemetary so when we went over to Tehran last year we visited and got some great photos of the cemetary.

My family history has fallen by the wayside as I am now trying to find out as much as possible as I can about Arthur Peters, possible that he was amember of Dunsterforce but nor sure.

Matthew

New to the forum, started off searching my family tree and came across one Arthur Peters who died 1918 in Mesopotamia, remembered in the Tehran war memorial.

Coinceidence that my wife who is Iranian used to live in the same road as the cemetary so when we went over to Tehran last year we visited and got some great photos of the cemetary.

My family history has fallen by the wayside as I am now trying to find out as much as possible as I can about Arthur Peters, possible that he was amember of Dunsterforce but nor sure.

Matthew

Matthew, there is a book written in English about Iran in World War 1.

http://www.books.co.uk/operations_in_persi...011290453x.html

There are also some good sites about Dunsterforce, "Google" around a bit.

Regards

Ivan

Welcome Matthew! Any chance you can post the pics... its not often we see images from that part of the world on Forum. Andy

That would be great, a few of 'my' men are buried/commemorated there!!

I assume that this is 33893 Sgt Arthur Peters, 7th Bn Gloucestershire Regt. who is listed as having died 10th July 1918? On his MIC he is shown as Acting-Sergeant.

7th Glosters were not part of Dunsterforce, however, something interesting from the 7th Glosters War Diary:

17th January 1918 - "L/Cpls Peters, Duan and French left camp for Baghdad to join as instructors to the Armenian Army."

This might explain how he ended up on the Tehran Memorial when his regiment was still in Iraq, based at Abu-Saida in July 1918.

Steve

Certainly is that gentleman, thanks for that information I am just deciding my next move in trying to find as much out about his war career as possible. Possible trip to Kew before Christmas to see what I can find out there.

Instructor to the Armenian army now that is something new to look for

Matthew