Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

war diaries

alan jones

Hello ,

When looking for war diaries , would there also be diaries for HAG's or would that come under the war diary of the battery? As an example 81st Siege battery were in 76 HAG{ 8/6/1917} and their diary is in WO95/225. They were I think in 48 brigade.

Any suggestions appreciated,

Regards,

Alan

From experience most HAG's that I've tried to find in the NA references come under Heavy Artillery Batteries instead of Groups. I think they were remamed after the war and are listed like this (not 100% sure though).

Gary

My understanding is that HAGs and Brigades, Royal Garrison Artillery are effectively one and the same. I recently looked at 4 war diaries for information on 1916 HAGs and they were all under the same numbered Brigade file, i.e. 48th HAG was under 48th Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery. The batteries that comprised the HAGs/Brigades changed from time to time so you would need to ensure that a specific Siege or Heavy Battery was in that HAG/Brigade at the time.

If you search the NA Catalogue and enter the phrase Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery you will get them all listed.

Alan

As you can see from the attached the 81 Siege Battery were part of a number of HAG's ( Heavy Artillery Groups).

The system of grouping guns reverted back to a Brigade system of command/control following orders issued in Dec 17.

With this change came a name change ie. 48 HAG became 48 Brigade, 76 HAG -- 76 Brigade etc.

The diaries are boxed as of Nov 1918 ie The controlling HA Brigade together with its constituent Batteries, thats if they survive.

The HA Brigade/HAG's were responsible for the diaries of the batteries under their control, so as a battery moved from HAG to HAG diaries got lost.

Stuart

post-6041-1134700637.jpg

Alan

As you can see from the attached the 81 Siege Battery were part of a number of HAG's ( Heavy Artillery Groups).

The system of grouping guns reverted back to a Brigade system of command/control following orders issued in Dec 17.

With this change came a name change ie. 48 HAG became 48 Brigade, 76 HAG -- 76 Brigade etc.

The diaries are boxed as of Nov 1918 ie The controlling HA Brigade together with its constituent Batteries, thats if they survive.

The HA Brigade/HAG's were responsible for the diaries of the batteries under their control, so as a battery moved from HAG to HAG diaries got lost.

Stuart

Hello,

Thanks to Gary, Bill and Stuart for replies and info.I find the NA documents Online a minefield and find getting to where and what I want very awkward at times.

Thanks again ,

Regards,

Alan