Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somerset Light Infantry + Scots recruits

Guest granty

Hi all,

I wonder if any of you folks would be able to answer something which has always puzzled me.

I stay in a place called Condorrat 15 miles east of the city of Glasgow. Condorrat was, in 1914-1918, a tiny farming and mining community.

The war memorial on the miners' welfare building in the village lists 4 or 5 men killed in action. The strange thing is they were all enlisted in the Somerset Light Infantry.

This has always puzzled me and I was wondering if this kind of thing was a common occurence.

It would be the equivalent, I suppose, of a group of Cornish fishermen enlisting in the Highlanders.

I have always found it unusual and perhaps someone here could enlighten me!!

Regards,

Grant

According to "Soldiers Died...." there are 5 men recorded as having been born in Condorrat, with three listed as also being residents. In addition there are two men listed as being residents but with no place of birth given, and one other man listed as a resident but born elsewhere. None of them is recorded as being in the SLI though. According to SDGW they were all in Scottish Regiments. (Two of them in the Highland Light Infantry, incidentally.)

Hope this is some help in solving Grant's puzzle.

Tom

Edited by Tom Morgan

Just a thought but there were mines in North Somerset. Like the Cornish I guess that your men had expertise and travelled to where ever the work was. As an aside my grand-father was born and bred in a rural farming community in Devon. I have often wondered how he found himself in the South Wales Borderers.

Just a thought but there were mines in North Somerset. Like the Cornish I guess that your men had expertise and travelled to where ever the work was. As an aside my grand-father was born and bred in a rural farming community in Devon. I have often wondered how he found himself in the South Wales Borderers.

Hi,

Yes...Jim is right there were mines in North Somerset. Notably around Midsomer Norton / Radstock area.

These mines were in use right up to the early 70's..certainly I remember seeing them in operation. I guess it is possible that they could have worked in these at some point.

Cheers

James

Hi all,

I can now give the details - only one of the six is listed as Somerset Light Infantry - the other 5 are from Scottish Regiments right enough.

Private James McIntosh - 10th Battalion Scottish Rifles 34147 - died 11/06/1918 aged 25.

Listed on CWGC as commemorated at Cumbernauld Cemetery (2 miles from where he lived).

Don't know if that means he is buried there or just that his name appears on the memorial.

Private Alexander Leishman - 1st/9th Battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders 3288 - died 10/05/1915 aged 24.

Commemorated on Menin Gate Memorial. Alexander's death would have coincided with 2nd Ypres.

Private John Hudson - Royal Highlanders 350877 - not on CWGC site.

Private James Hunter - Scottish Rifles 11950 - not on CWGC site.

Private Duncan Sneddon - 11th Battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders S/19654 - died 22/08/1917 aged 21.

Commemorated on Tyne Cot memorial coinciding with 3rd Ypres.

Private William McGeachey - Somerset Light Infantry - not on CWGC site.

Would it be possible for anyone with access to SDGW to check the names and provide any additional information please?

Many thanks,

Grant

Found the details for William McGeachy/McGeachey on CWGC:

Private in Somerset Light Infantry 29624 - died 15/11/1918 age unknown- buried/commemorated at Cambrai East Cemetery.