Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battalion Signs/Insignia

Guest A Mafia Man

Guest A Mafia Man

Whilst reading through the various threads on this superb site, I was reading the answers to an earlier question posed about the Battalion Signs/Insignia/Shoulder Patches for the 36th Division.

Could someone point me in the direction of a book, or books, where this information, for all the infantry regiments in 1914 - 18, can be found ? I'm particularly interested in the period around 3rd Ypres.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Joe,

Osprey published a work by Mike Chappel: British Battle Insignia 14-18.

This is probably what you want. However, it is very incomplete.

Joe Sweeney

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Joe,

Osprey published a work by Mike Chappel: British Battle Insignia 14-18.

This is probably what you want. However, it is very incomplete.

Joe Sweeney

...........and not easy to get hold of!!!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been catching up on discussions I've missed whilst I've been away at work. The book in question is back in print and available on Osprey's website.

However like Joe said it is very incomplete which goes along way in explaining why I'm often asking related questions on this forum :lol:

Roger.

A bit of late information in regards to books on Divisional patches my favourite is by Ray Westlake. Divisional and Other Signs, reprint of 1920's book compiled and illustrated by V. Wheeler-Holohan re-printed in 1992 ISBN 1 871167 21 3.

Regards Rob. B

For those who are interested in this subject, and in the uniforms and equipment of the British Army during the Great War in general, there is a new Osprey title being published on 25th September entitled:The British Army in World War I (1) The Western Front 1914–16 (Men-at-Arms 391). It is written and illustrated by Michael Chappell and is the first of a series of three books covering the dress and other aspects of the British Army during 1914-18.

Mike Chappell's book on British Battle Insignia is probably the best handy reference on the subject, but as it is only 48 pages it can only go into so much detail. As a starting point for research on unit and divisional insignia it is excellent. There are other Osprey books that have colour plates that are also useful, in particular:

British Territorial Units 1914–18 (Men-at-Arms 245)

The Guards Divisions 1914–45 (Elite 61)

Scottish Units in the World Wars (Elite 56) - covers 9th, 15th, 51st and 52nd Divisions

British Tommy 1914–18 (Warrior 16) - excellent colour plates but poor text with lots of errors.

The British Army 1914–18 (Men-at-Arms 81) - many errors with the depictions of insignia in the colour plates.

British Cavalry Equipments 1800–1941 revised edition (Men-at-Arms 138)

British Infantry Equipments (2) 1908–2000 (Men-at-Arms 108)

Hope this helps.

Not sure if this is what's wanted, but I've got a full set of 50 "Army, Corps and Divisional Signs 1914-1918" cigarette cards issued by Player's, if anyone would like a lookup.

Tom

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I've just been catching up on discussions I've missed whilst I've been away at work. The book in question is back in print and available on Osprey's website.

However like Joe said it is very incomplete which goes along way in explaining why I'm often asking related questions on this forum :lol:

Roger.

Excellent news - I have been looking to get a copy for awhile now.

Ian

Not sure if this is what's wanted, but I've got a full set of 50 "Army, Corps and Divisional Signs 1914-1918" cigarette cards issued by Player's, if anyone would like a lookup.

Tom

Isn't this part of a full set of 150, Tom?

Isn't this part of a full set of 150, Tom?

Yes, Players issued two sets, one of 50 that Tom has and a later edition of 100 that I happen to have a set of. The second set covers a lot of Australian and Canadian insignia, as well as some examples of British unit insignia as well as the usual Division/Corps signs.