Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Please Help me fill in the gaps the demise of Pte James Rolland 2 KOSB

ressmex

please help me gain some more info on Pte James Rolland 28705 2btn KOSB died 08/05/1917, I have a certain ammount of information but none so far that tells me about his final days. this is what I have up till now:-

memorial East Wemyss

Place of rest Arras Memorial

original regt Fife and Forfar Yeomanry service No

medal index Victory medal & british war medal / ser D/105B11

service notification in post

family story is that he was shot at dawn, as yet no proof, he is not listed on the shot at dawn roll ?

any help to get me further along this long road would be greatfully accepted.

Edited by flagstare

family story is that he was shot at dawn, as yet no proof, he is not listed on the shot at dawn roll ?

Hi,

It is more likely that he was killed in action with about 20 of his comrades around dawn on the 8th May.

"Third Battle of the Scarpe opened 3rd May 1917 on a 14 mile front. On the 7th the 2nd KOSB relieved the Royal Warwickshire Regt. just south of Fresnoy Wood. They didn't have long to wait for trouble. In a few hours the enemy opened a bombardment which lasted for three and a hours from 2.0am [on the 8th], and killed and wounded and rendered hors de combat by shock and by burying a large number. Three Lewis guns were knocked out of action in the left sector held by 'B' Company (Capt. JL Grant).

The two days [8th and 9th] cost the KOSB one 2nd Lieut. (C. Watt) killed, one wounded, and 158 OR casualties (20 killed)."

Abridged from "The KOSB in the Great War", Capt. Stair Gillon, p.93/94.

So, the reference to shot at dawn has probably been misinterpreted.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

Hi,

It is more likely that he was killed in action with about 20 of his comrades around dawn on the 8th May.

"Third Battle of the Scarpe opened 3rd May 1917 on a 14 mile front. On the 7th the 2nd KOSB relieved the Royal Warwickshire Regt. just south of Fresnoy Wood. They didn't have long to wait for trouble. In a few hours the enemy opened a bombardment which lasted for three and a hours from 2.0am [on the 8th], and killed and wounded and rendered hors de combat by shock and by burying a large number. Three Lewis guns were knocked out of action in the left sector held by 'B' Company (Capt. JL Grant).

The two days [8th and 9th] cost the KOSB one 2nd Lieut. (C. Watt) killed, one wounded, and 158 OR casualties (20 killed)."

Abridged from "The KOSB in the Great War", Capt. Stair Gillon, p.93/94.

So, the reference to shot at dawn has probably been misinterpreted.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

thanks stuart but the family story is a bit more detailed than just shot at dawn only just, he was home on leave (don't know when ) and took to his bed spent over a week there "hiding" , screaming a lot and spending alot of time under the bed eventually two soldiers came to the door and draged him away screaming the last time any family member saw or heard James Rolland. the wife became destitute and her brother (sources father ) took it upon himself and the family to resolve this and went to Edinburgh ( big journey 1917) when enquiring as to why the wife of James Rolland was not getting her widows pension the clerk retrieved a paper and placed it on the desk saying " you are not suposed to see this" and left the room for a short while. again from this family source the subject was completely taboo and his father only told him ( many years later) after swearing an oath not to speak of it, last year the daughter of JR passed away and the source felt that under the present climate and the information that is available to the public he would share the story with the family members. sadly the source of this sad and confusing story has since passed away.

Edited by flagstare

It would be interesting to see if his records survive at Kew.

I suppose it's not inconceivable that he was forcibly dragged back to his unit and then given a part in the attack to prove/redeem himself.

• 4 weeks later...
It would be interesting to see if his records survive at Kew.

I suppose it's not inconceivable that he was forcibly dragged back to his unit and then given a part in the attack to prove/redeem himself.

Do you require a photograph of the memorial? I live five minutes away and can do one and email it.

Jake

Sadly this is an aspect of the Great War that was only too common, shell shock. Untold numbers of boys - for that is what most of them were - broke down under the strain imposed by repeated shelling. It is likely he may have been returned to his unit under guard and given the opportunity to 'redeem' himself by taking part in the next attack or going back into the line.

Jerry

Surname ROLLAND

Firstname James

Service Number 28705

Date Death 08/05/1917

Decoration

Place of birth Kingskettle Fife

Other 2nd Bn. formerly 3578 F.& F. Yeo.

SNWM roll THE KING'S OWN SCOTTISH BORDERERS

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Aye