Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for Alfred Cooper

alanh

Looking for info on an officer named Alfred Cooper. All I know is that he served with a highland Regiment and was still in service after 1922.

Alan

Alan,

If that's all you've got to go on, I would start with the Army List for 1922 and work forwards and back.

How firm is the 'Highland' thing - folks sometimes get confused between Highland and Scottish, and don't overlook the London and Liverpool Scottish.

Jock

My great uncle was called Alfred Cooper.

He was Gunner A. Cooper 241982 of 51st Reserve Battalion, Royal Field Artillery.

He was born in Jarrow, Tyneside, on 18th December 1893.

He survived the war and then volunteered to go to Ireland in the Black and Tans in the 1920s. Don't know if he ever made a higher rank or became part of a Highland Regiment.

His brother, Private Herbert Cooper, 14139 10th Green Howards, was killed in action near Fricourt on 28th May 1916.

It's probably no connection at all. But just maybe . . . .

Col

My great uncle was called Alfred Cooper.

He was Gunner A. Cooper 241982 of 51st Reserve Battalion, Royal Field Artillery.

He was born in Jarrow, Tyneside, on 18th December 1893.

He survived the war and then volunteered to go to Ireland in the Black and Tans in the 1920s. Don't know if he ever made a higher rank or became part of a Highland Regiment.

His brother, Private Herbert Cooper, 14139 10th Green Howards, was killed in action near Fricourt on 28th May 1916.

It's probably no connection at all. But just maybe . . . .

Col

Col

No not the same man I am afraid, My Alfred was born in Islington London in 1896, although he did have a brother called Herbert.

Alan

Alan,

If that's all you've got to go on, I would start with the Army List for 1922 and work forwards and back.

How firm is the 'Highland' thing - folks sometimes get confused between Highland and Scottish, and don't overlook the London and Liverpool Scottish.

Jock

Jock

I know he definately served in a highland regiment at sometime as did his brother (my grandfather Black Watch) and settled in Inverness after retiring from the Army.

Alan