Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Western Front

tonycad

The bridge across the canal at Nimy, on the northern outskirts of Mons, which replaced the bridge held by a section of the 4th Battalion of the Roal Fusiliers, on 22nd August, 1914

After their comrades were killed or wounded, Lieutenant M J Dease and Private S F Godlrey kept on firing their Machine Gun to the last.

Both men were were awarde the VC, with Dease dying of his wounds, and Godley being taken prisoner.

I recall reading some time ago, that the announcement of Godley's VC was withheld for some time, as the authorities feared that he would suffer privations as a POW.

Tony

post-4728-1134510597.jpg

Finally, do not forget to rub the monkey's head in the main square in Mons, if you are to avoid bad luck. The entrance to the Hotel de Ville is on the right hand side of the monkey, and there are further memorials to the units that fought at Mons, inside the gate.

post-4728-1134511534.jpg

Thanks for those, this is the prettiest cemetery of all. The monument to the Middlesex mistakenly calls the Royal Middlesesx which they were not at that time.

The monument was built by the Germans who made the cemetery.

Edited by paul guthrie

• 2 weeks later...

Troops that was quite emotional for me to see those pics believe ot or not! My great grandad, 6611 Pte Bernard Heavey, was in 4 Royal Fusiliers and we have a photo of the battalion in the town square at Mons but I havent got a photo of him or any idea what he looked like - oh well!! I hope to go and follow their footsteps one day soon. I would particularly like to stand in a trench where they stood if possible but I feel it will take a lot of research!!

Gareme Heavey

gt grandson of an old contemptible

Troops that was quite emotional for me to see those pics believe ot or not! My great grandad, 6611 Pte Bernard Heavey, was in 4 Royal Fusiliers and we have a photo of the battalion in the town square at Mons

I t will also be emotional when you go to the town square at Mons because if you look towards the town hall from the place where the photograph was taken (if it's the one I'm thinking of) it is virtually unchanged from 1914.