Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to find where g/dad came from

stoney43

have been on national archives and downloaded his medal referances but doesnt give any info as far as i can see about where he enlisted.

perhaps someone here knows.having spent the last three days reading everything about the artillery i could find i am more confused than ever so if theres anyone out there can relieve the confusion i could turn this off for a couple of hours and talk to my wife again.

dave.

Hi, Dave

And welcome to the Forum. I see you are just "down the road" from me.

It's likely that he enlisted near to wherever he lived. Was that Tameside? If so it might be worth a trawl of the local newspapers of the time at the Local Heritage Library @ Ashton.

Other than that, it's a case of seeing if his service papers still exist at the National Archives. Only about 30 - 40% do. And they are not available on-line - you have to visit Kew or pay a professional researcher to look for you.

It'll be worth you having a look at the "research" section of the Long Long Trail (click the link top left of this page).

If you can post the details of what you know, someone may have helpful information. That said, the artillery was a big corps in the army. Not always the easiest to suss out.

John

Dave

Yes - use of the phrase "--original deleted--" will insult some people. And offend quite a few more. Me included. Can I suggest that you delete it.

When we've resumed normal business, let us know what were the details on the medal card you downloaded from the National Archives and we'll see if we can help.

John

Edited by John_Hartley

Sorry John and anybody else who had the missfortue to read my last post.

I really am sorry if I have caused any offence as none was meant.

Dave.

Edited by pipsqueek

Hi John

Thought I had better try and find out about my choice of words before trying anymore posts.

Think I now know sorry again. Was a term heard when a boy.

anyway hope Im forgiven.

Grandfather was in the army in 1901 as a gnr 11 co E.D.R.G.A. this off the 1901 census Durham. Spent a couple of hours yesterday at Ashton record centre.

downloaded medal card (attatched. I hope) would there be anyway of telling what he was discharged for.

post-9522-1134673896.jpg

Does that read Class P?

If so then it means he was discharged from the army back to a skilled job that was necessary for the war effort.

See the very bottom of this page:

http://www.1914-1918.net/reserve.htm

I think that says Life Pension as well, does it?

Steve.

thanks steve

thats how he came to coalmining then. dont know anything about pension but will check.

dave

Dave

Thanks for deleting the words. Much happier now.

My eyes aren't what they used to be - am I seeing a date of 4/9/14 on there? If so that'll be his date of entering active service abroad. Confirms he must have still been in the regular army or was still on the reserve and was recalled when war was declared.

The discharge back, presumably, to mining suggests he was on the reserve (having left the army and taken up mining). I gather there was quite a lot of mining round Ashton in those days.

John

The 4-9-1914 would be date of enlistment on an SWB card, John.

There is presumably another card available with his campaign medals on it...

Steve.

This would be the one you already have (basically SWb discharge from the Depot).

Medal card of Stones, Thomas

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Garrison Artillery Depot SR/3720 Gunner

This one would be for his campaign medals:

Medal card of Stone, Thomas

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Garrison Artillery SR/3720 Gunner

Royal Garrison Artillery 278720 Gunner

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=3

This seems to be one of the "odd" RGA renumberings we have partially discussed on other threads, Basically the re-numbers added 275000 to the earlier number. I'm not sure if there was a conclusion on this one...

There is also this one:

Same number RGA and same surname. A coincidence or another MIC for our man?

Medal card of Stones, F

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Garrison Artillery 3720 Gunner

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=3

Hope this helps,

Steve.

John/Steve,

Sorry about confusion family are from Yorkshire emigrated here 30 odd years ago.

Didnt find the other medal cards though so with your help Steve have taken the liberty to download same. Now the two medals make sense 1 for T.Stones and 1 for F.Stones.

post-9522-1134693013.jpg

John/Steve.

Here's the other one just goes to show how green I am. Thanks again.

post-9522-1134693414.jpg

You're still not quite there, Dave.

The other Thomas Stones one I posted the link for should be his Victory Medal and British War Medal. The VM & BWM card probably won't tell you much but you never know.

This is just his 1914 Star card.

The original SWB card I didn't put a link to....

You now have his proper unit, which is lucky.

A post in the Units & Formations section will probably help you track his movements provided he stayed with the same battery.

Qualifying date is the date he went to France by the way.

EDIT : Ah. Jumped the gun. Anyway this has his renumber on it. Not sure when that happened. He may even have been renumbered while on Class P Reserve.

There is a War Diary covering July 1915 to September 1916 in series WO95/478 stored at the National Archives.

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

John/Steve.

Thanks a million for that info I can now piece together a bit more of the family history and may I say that without you help I would still be sat twiddling my thumbs. Now though I can see plenty of avenues to explore. Thanks again.

Dave

"Basically the re-numbers added 275000 to the earlier number"

This is not quite true Steve. Each battery had a number group assigned or more accurately each contingent of men had a number group assigned. The 275000 addition looked plausible for the example you referred to in a previous thread and for this one. However because many RGA numbers were the same this would lead to duplication so other number ranges were added ie 290000 + RGA No, 291000 + RGA No etc etc

Roop

You're right Roop. Didn't explain myself very well (for a change).

Has anyone figured out what the +275000 specifically applied to?

Steve.