Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Yorkshire Regiment

sugerand

Can anyone tell me if the original numbering of a soldier can give an indication of when he was enlisted.

Rifleman Frank Bowe 1/7 Bt Prince of Wales, West Yorks.

No: 4275, renumbered in1917 No:266692

Im am trying to work out his regimental history.

• 3 months later...

Hi, The Regimental museum in York may be of help to you. They have plenty of archive material on the Leeds Rifles (7th and 8th battalions) including the war diaries. There is also a member of the forum called Chris Noble who is very knowledgable on the subject. He gave me lots of information.

Regards, Jon Clark

Hi again,

By the way, the National Archive will probably have a copy of his medal index card available online. That will give you some clues and his medal records should also be available if you visit the NA or if some kind soul visiting there will look them up for you. His service record may still exist at the NA at Kew if you are lucky but many of them were destroyed in a fire during WW2

Regards,

Jon Clark

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul Harrison

I have a copy of the 'The West Yorkshire Regiment In the War 1914-1918'.

I thought you might be interested that there is an entry in the back of Vol2 which states that 'Bowe, Frank 266692 Pte killed 17/11/17.

Interesting enough the book lists that period as a 'Quiet Period' and states that 'The diaries of the 1/7th West Yorkshires (Lieut.-Colonel C. H. Tetley) for October, November and December contain nothing at all worth recording, the battalion being located in Vancouver Camp on the 31st December'.

Frank could have course been wounded for a short time. The only mention of the 1/7th prior to November is 'On 28th October the 146th Brigade Group had moved from Winnizeele to the Steenvoorde East area, with Brigade Headquarters in the latter village. Here the four front-line Territorial battalions i.e. 1/5th, 1/6th, 1/7th and 1/8th remained until 8th November, when a move was made to Swan area. 3 days later 146th Brigade took over the defence of the Broodseinde-Zonnebeke road to Molenaarelsthhoek, and was held by 2 battalions, 1/7th taking over the right sector and 1/5th the left. On the 15th the 1/8th and 1/6th relieved the 1/7th and 1/5th respectively, until the Brigade was relieved on 20th and moved back into Divisional Reserve and Dickebusch.

My great uncle George EJG Douthwaite West Yorkshire Regiment was also killed on the 16th Aug 1917 with the 2nd Bn at the Battle of Langemark. He has no grave but is listed on the memorial.

If anybody else has any interest of the West Yorkshire Regiment during WW1 I am more than happy to lookup any entries in the 2 books that I have.

Good luck with the research.

Paul Harrison

1/7th took part in the battle of Poelcapelle on 9/10/17, I note that Paul says he is recorded as being killed 17/11/17, not kia. CWGC shows him remembered at Tyne Cot, Panels 42 to 47 and 162, this suggests his body was not recovered.

That particular battle area remained a 'hot' spot almost to the official end of the Passchendaele offensive on 10/11/17, and I wonder if there is any significance that his death is recorded 7 days later. It's only a theory but one you might like to consider whilst doing your research.

Keith

Guest Messenger Marshall

Hi,

Just reading through old posts for the West Yorkshire Regiment, as my Great Grandfather was in the 1st Battalion, he enlisted in Jarrow and died in Flanders on the 15/03/1915. He is buried in Bailleul Communal Cemetary. I am trying to find out about the movements of the battalion from when they first arrived in France and up to his death, where he might of been etc..... I have more details posted under the 'soldier section' of this site, under West Yorshire Regiment.

Would be greatful to any help on this

many thanks

Helen

Paul

Thank you for taking the trouble to look up this information.

I have dis covered that the Battalion has a historian attached to it and she has extensively reseached it's activities durind WW1. She has been able to tell me when Frank enlisted (within a 10 day span), and she was able to tell me brief information of his activities and whereabouts at the time of his death. I understand that the date of his death is correct and his friend was wounded at the same time but died three days later. Frank is listed on the Tyne Cot memorial and I have been lucky enough to visit with my Dad,who is also called Frnk in his memory.

Many thanks again

Sue

Keith

Thanks again for your useful information. I had considered your theory as the most likely senario but have since been given information that changed things. You might like to read my reply to Paul.

Sue

Mr. Harrison, would you be kind enough to look up this man for me:

Percy Hickox

Born ca 1900 Birmingham

SN 62340 35456

Pte, West Yorkshire, Yorkshire Rgts (Class Z)

That is all I know on him. Thank you.

Hi,

Just reading through old posts for the West Yorkshire Regiment, as my Great Grandfather was in the 1st Battalion, he enlisted in Jarrow and died in Flanders on the 15/03/1915. He is buried in Bailleul Communal Cemetary. I am trying to find out about the movements of the battalion from when they first arrived in France and up to his death, where he might of been etc..... I have more details posted under the 'soldier section' of this site, under West Yorshire Regiment.

Would be greatful to any help on this

many thanks

Helen

Helen

If you have not already read it, you might get some useful information on the battalion's movements from 'The West Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War' by Everard Wyrell. There are two volumes and it will be Volume one that you need. There is quite a lot about the 1st Battalion.

Sue

Guest Messenger Marshall
Helen

If you have not already read it, you might get some useful information on the battalion's movements from 'The West Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War' by Everard Wyrell. There are two volumes and it will be Volume one that you need. There is quite a lot about the 1st Battalion.

Sue

Dear Sue,

No I have not had a look at it yet, but will do - thanks very much for your info -

many thanks

Helen

Guest Messenger Marshall
Can anyone tell me if the original numbering of a soldier can give an indication of when he was enlisted.

Rifleman Frank Bowe 1/7 Bt Prince of Wales, West Yorks.

No: 4275, renumbered in1917 No:266692

Im am trying to work out his regimental history.

Check out the NATIONAL Archives MIC - downloadable documents - this will give you his medal card etc.. and give you the date at which he entered the war. Have just got hold of my great grandfathers info - (another step nearer to getting a fully picture) costs £3.50 to download

Archived