Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

guitar500uk

I have a few questions concerning the 7th btn of this regiment in which my great grandfather served.

Firstly, does anyone know which battles this battallion took part in? I know he died on the somme in 1916 and have read that all soldiers on the somme voluntarily enlisted, is it then likely that he enlisted in september 1914?

Secondly, I was told this battallion was a reserve at the somme and was scheduled to attack but this was later cancelled. I was just wondering how he might have come to die, then, if he was not involved in any attack?

thanks for any help! :)

Rich.

the 7/LNL at the time of the Somme was a volunteer "service" battalion which went to France in July 1915. Your Gt.grandfather could very likely have enlisted in September 1914 (not before as the battalion didn't exist prior to the 11th of that month). Of the major battles it was involved in, Loos was the first (in a rather insignificant way being just to the north of the battlefield). The next was the Somme.

Though they didn't attack on 1st July, the 7/LNL did suffer 25ish casualties that day as they were variously involved in frontline activities from 8am and thus well within range of enemy rifles and guns.

D.

Rich

If you click the link to the Long Long Trail (top left of the page) and find the "infantry" section, it'll give you a potted history.

You don't mention what date your relative died and Gericht is assuming you mean the first day of the Battle (1 July). It went on until the autumn.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way.

John