Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Died after the war

Steve Grace

I am currently researching my local cemetary in Hucknall, Nottingham which has some military graves dotted around it (35 in total of both World Wars) and have come on with a few people that are listed as died after the war which I presume to be of wounds received? Would anyone have any info on these men?

Private E BAGNALL

15380, 8th Bn., Lincolnshire Regiment

who died

on 09 January 1920

In Memory of

Driver ROWLAND BANNER

26889, "B" Bty 125th Ede., Royal Field Artillery

who died age 22

on 12 August 1919

Son of J. T. and E. Banner, of 65, Montague Rd., Hucknall. Born at Hucknall.

Remembered with honour

HUCKNALL CEMETERY

In Memory of

Private J R G DIGNUM

16716, 12th Bn., Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

transf. to (631159), Labour Corps

who died age 33

on 23 March 1919

Husband of Mary Ellen Dignum, of 70, Bentinck St., Hucknall.

Remembered with honour

HUCKNALL CEMETERY A. South. 466.

In Memory of

Private CECIL HARRIS

35591, 3rd Bn., Grenadier Guards

who died age 18

on 10 April 1920

Son of John and Mary Harris, of 21, Byron St., Hucknall.

Remembered with honour

HUCKNALL CEMETERY C. East. 1174

In Memory of

Lieutenant ERNEST WILKINSON SAXTON

Labour Corps

who died age 41

on 19 December 1919

Husband of Florence Mary Saxton, of 32, Albert St., Hucknall.

Remembered with honour

HUCKNALL CEMETERY A. South. 160.

I know there is a few but I curious and like to find out about the local men that went off to fight.

Thanks

Steve

PS. dont think that deaths after 11/18 were all due to wounds. There were continuations of the war in North Russia and the middle east to name but 2 until 1920. So the deaths may be killed in action. Also may include disease and even old age (ref. Terry Denham this site). Gareth

PS. dont think that deaths after 11/18 were all due to wounds. There were continuations of the war in North Russia and the middle east to name but 2 until 1920. So the deaths may be killed in action. Also may include disease and even old age (ref. Terry Denham this site). Gareth

Thanks for the replies, I will start digging into what I can find!

Steve

As the deaths were after the Armistice, the guys will not be listed in Soldiers Died inthe Great War. The only ways you're going to be able to track down cause of death is from local newspapers or by applying for death certificates. If they are listed by CWGC, then you'll be able to assume that it was war-related (e.g. someone dying of a heart attack in 1920 is unlikely to have a CWGC commemoration).

John

There were continuations of the war in North Russia and the middle east to name but 2 until 1920. So the deaths may be killed in action.

Very unlikely to be KIA as those casualties tended to be buried near their place of death also. The majority will have died through natural causes/disease, etc., but some will have died as a result of war injuries.

D.

Steve

As the deaths were after the Armistice, the guys will not be listed in Soldiers Died in the Great War....

John

John,

Not strictly true. The last soldier listed in my copy of SDGW for the Dorsetshire Regt died at 'Home' on 20th February 1919. Another died a week previously of wounds received in action.

Regards

Steve