Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

duke of athoils army

marc glorieux

maybe a stupid question from flanders ....

I just read that since historical times there is a private Scottish army: “the Duke of Athoils Army”.

Took this private army maybe part at the great war as one unit or enlisted the members individual.

Anyone of the forum members who can give more information about this private army and his members during WW1 ?

thanks for the reply

marc

As Malcom said they are a small "Army" made up of estate workers and retainers who are really toy soldiers for public and ceremonial duties for the Duke. As they are I think in Black Watch recruiting territory they would have gone to War with the Watch.

Lord Lovat has a similar private army called the Lovat Scouts and they went to war I think with the Commandos in WW2.

Rob

Thank you, Marina, Malcolm & Rob , fot the replies.

And I was thinking originally on armed men in service of the duke in the 20th century (like foresters, local surveillance, etc...) but only a ceremonial task, toy solders ...

Any idea where i can find the roll of honour {(website, (e-mail)adress}; my curiosity is now to know if one of this men enlisted in the army, is killed and buried in somewhere in Flanders.

marc[]

Thank you, Marina, Malcolm & Rob , fot the replies.

And I was thinking originally on armed men in service of the duke in the 20th century (like foresters, local surveillance, etc...) but only a ceremonial task, toy solders ...

Any idea where i can find the roll of honour {(website, (e-mail)adress}; my curiosity is now to know if one of this men enlisted in the army, is killed and buried in somewhere in Flanders.

marc[]

Possible men on the local war memorial or the one at Pitlochry.

The Castle may have a list of estate workers who served in WW1.

Aye

Malcolm

B)-->

QUOTE(Rob B @ Dec 13 2005, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As Malcom said they are a small "Army" made up of estate workers and retainers who are really toy soldiers for public and ceremonial duties for the Duke. As they are I think in Black Watch recruiting territory they would have gone to War with the Watch.

Lord Lovat has a similar private army called the Lovat Scouts and they went to war I think with the Commandos in WW2.

Rob

The Lovat Scouts were a Territorial Unit, several battalions fought in the Great War