Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When did the diaries stop?

barrieduncan

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if the regiments kept up the war diaries after 1918 or did they stop pretty much after the end of the war? I'm just wondering if any will be available into 1919?

Barrie

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if the regiments kept up the war diaries after 1918 or did they stop pretty much after the end of the war? I'm just wondering if any will be available into 1919?

Barrie

Hi Barrie,

Can only speak for my battalion 1/5th Lincs. Last entry June 28th 1919. 'Official intimation that peace has been signed'. The battn. had been reduced to a cadre by this time, so I think they were almost certain!

regards,

Steve.

Barrie,

The example I got at hand is the 7th Bn. Norhamptonshire Regiment: it certainly doesn't end in November 1918, but continues up to the disbandment of the Battalion in June 1919. The post-armistice notes are shorter and -logically- more routinely.

Gloria

Barrie,

More examples:

1/5th King's Liverpool Regt - last entry April 1919

1/6th King's Liverpool Regt - last entry April 1919

1/7th King's Liverpool Regt - last entry April 1919

9th King's Liverpool Regt - last entry Dec 1918

1/10th King's Liverpool Regt - last entry Sept. 1919

Ken

Barrie

Both battalions of the 19th London Regt went up to April/May 1919 when they were disbanded. From memory it was standard practice in both their divisions (47th and 60th).

Charles

One of the diaries I've consulted (can't remember which one - possibly 25/Middlesex Regt, or was it No.1 Special Coy?) ended in mid-October 1919. Though I didn't venture that far, I'm sure I've seen one dated into 1921 also.

D.