Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hello from a Scottish Newbie!

christine w

Hello All

Up until 2 months ago I had no idea that two of my ancestors were killed in WW1.

This 'genealogy' thing all started because my Mum wanted me to "do a family tree" as she lost her mother when she was 4, her father was killed in WW2 and my Dad (who died in the 1970's) also lost his father in WW2 and his mother in the 1960's. In essence, my Mum (who's now 70+) wanted to find out a wee bit more about the general family history.

I was doing quite well and decided to try and trace the descendants of my great Grandfather's siblings - with a view to possibly renewing family ties, etc. It was then I found that two of my great Grandfather's brothers were killed in WW1. This was pretty astounding news for my Mum as she had absolutely no knowledge of this - and she is pretty sure my Dad didn't know either, else he would have definitely said something. I'm not sure why this information was not passed down - however, my great Grandfather died suddenly prior to WW1 (aged only 33) and my poor great Grandmother had to bury him, two sons and a third son 7 years after WW1 - so maybe the poor woman could not bring herself to talk about these events to her remaining children. Frankly, I'm amazed she found the strength to keep going..........

It's odd, really, as I've always had this absolute fascination with WW1 ever since I was a wee kid and remember reading endless books and watching endless films on the subject. I also remember my Dad warning me my fascination was becoming unhealthy! (which, I think, proves he knew nothing about his uncles dying in the Great War).

Anyway, enough of my wittering! Suffice to say I have found this forum fascinating - and full of very, very useful information and great folk who seem to have endless knowledge. Thanks to them, I've learnt one hell of a lot - and whilst I still have much to learn, even with my limited knowledge, I will ensure that my 'ancestors' will never, never, never be forgotten in our family.

Cheers

Christine

Hello Christine,

Welcome to the board.

It's another sad story regarding two brothers being killed within a short period of each other.

No doubt (and hopefully) some of the Forum experts will be able to give you more details on your two relatives.

Captured1.jpg

Captured4.jpg

Captured2.jpg

Captured3.jpg

Welcome Christine,

Derek has given you some good info. Are they names on the Dalkeith Memorial in the park?

Attached is an image of Arras. Sorry can't do Salonika. :(

Aye

Malcolm

post-129-1134594750.jpg

Derek - many thanks for the information. I have the CWGC 'certificates' and entries for these boys, but I've not seen the second entries shown on your email. I think there's been a bit of confusion around James Wright's residence - but I think this is simply because the remaining family moved back to Dalkeith sometime during or after the war.

Nevertheless, all information is gratefully received as I want to build up a picture of the boys and their lives - so hearing and reading other members' stories is crucial in understanding (as much as one can) how life was at that time. (As neither brother married nor had children and I feel it is imperative they, as individuals, are not 'lost' or forgotten to the Wright family).

Malcolm - I had no idea there is a memorial in Dalkeith - however, I fully intend to check out (very soon) if my boys are named. So, again, many thanks for the information. I know that Salonika is rather a forgotten battle theatre (I had never heard of it until recently) but, again thanks to this forum, I have ordered the book "Under the Devil's Eye" which apparently details very clearly what happened in that part of the world.

Bit by bit, I will try to do the boys' memories justice!

Cheers

Christine

Welcome to the Forum Christine

Your path may be difficult to find but it will be rewarding!

Liken it to a jigsaw where you also have to find the pieces.

Good luck

Fred

Hello Christine.

Welcome to the forum.

My interest is with the Argylls and if there is anything i can do to help i will try my best.

My Grandfather was in the 7th & 14th Battalions & as a bit of a coincidence was born in Dalkeith.

My parents still live in the area and i should be visiting them sometime soon so if you would like photographs of the war memorial i would be more than happy to take some [that is if you do not get there first].

Scott.

PS. Have you tried the Regimental museum at Stirling castle, they do not have individual records but the Battalion war diaries are available to read. I have always found the museum staff to be very polite and helpfull with any questions that i have had and have even allowed me access to the diaries to help with my research.

Hello Scott

I really appreciate your offer of a photo but I'm hotfooting it down to Dalkeith next week to see the memorial in the park (if the weather is kind)!

However, I'm seriously interested in finding out more about the Argylls so if you don't mind I'll be "PM-ing" you to pick your brains!! Meantime, my next 'labour of love' will be to follow up with your suggestion to visit the Regimental Museum at Stirling Castle and see what I can glean from there.

Again - many thanks for your help.

Cheers

Christine

Hi Christine,

Welcome to the forum, it looks like your research is starting of well.

Andy

Hello Scott

I really appreciate your offer of a photo but I'm hotfooting it down to Dalkeith next week to see the memorial in the park (if the weather is kind)!

However, I'm seriously interested in finding out more about the Argylls so if you don't mind I'll be "PM-ing" you to pick your brains!! Meantime, my next 'labour of love' will be to follow up with your suggestion to visit the Regimental Museum at Stirling Castle and see what I can glean from there.

Again - many thanks for your help.

Cheers

Christine

Christine,

Phone ahead and make an appointment. You don't then have to pay the £6 entry to the castle.

Aye

Malcolm

:D

Wow! And who on earth said there were 'no more heroes anymore'?

Obviously, someone who hasn't read/joined this forum!

Thanks again, Scott and thank you Malcolm!

Christine, If you pass through Edinburgh on your way to Dalkeith (or even if you don't!), stop at the Scottish National War Memorial in the Castle and their names should be in the A&SH Books.

Mike Morrison

Christine,

Phone ahead and make an appointment. You don't then have to pay the £6 entry to the castle.

Aye

Malcolm

£6 eh? That's about what they paid me to live there for a week. :o

Hi Christine

If you go to Edinburgh Castle to see the Scottish National War Memorial. If you state that you are only there to visit that you should be let in free of charge! :)

Fred

Hello All

Up until 2 months ago I had no idea that two of my ancestors were killed in WW1.

This 'genealogy' thing all started because my Mum wanted me to "do a family tree" as she lost her mother when she was 4, her father was killed in WW2 and my Dad (who died in the 1970's) also lost his father in WW2 and his mother in the 1960's. In essence, my Mum (who's now 70+) wanted to find out a wee bit more about the general family history.

I was doing quite well and decided to try and trace the descendants of my great Grandfather's siblings - with a view to possibly renewing family ties, etc. It was then I found that two of my great Grandfather's brothers were killed in WW1. This was pretty astounding news for my Mum as she had absolutely no knowledge of this - and she is pretty sure my Dad didn't know either, else he would have definitely said something. I'm not sure why this information was not passed down - however, my great Grandfather died suddenly prior to WW1 (aged only 33) and my poor great Grandmother had to bury him, two sons and a third son 7 years after WW1 - so maybe the poor woman could not bring herself to talk about these events to her remaining children. Frankly, I'm amazed she found the strength to keep going..........

It's odd, really, as I've always had this absolute fascination with WW1 ever since I was a wee kid and remember reading endless books and watching endless films on the subject. I also remember my Dad warning me my fascination was becoming unhealthy! (which, I think, proves he knew nothing about his uncles dying in the Great War).

Anyway, enough of my wittering! Suffice to say I have found this forum fascinating - and full of very, very useful information and great folk who seem to have endless knowledge. Thanks to them, I've learnt one hell of a lot - and whilst I still have much to learn, even with my limited knowledge, I will ensure that my 'ancestors' will never, never, never be forgotten in our family.

Cheers

Christine

Welcome Christine from one Newbie to another :D

I have to agree that it does get seriously addictive, not only do you acquire loads of info and insight into your forgotten relatives (mine was KiA in 1914 leaving two young childrens as orphans so we have no verbal info either) and their battles, you then find out that you have to write about it too. How else can other family members understand easily? So you go through periods of manic investigation followed by periods of consolidation. And the mountain of paperwork! I have lever arch files full of stuff ranging from info about the General's and the battle plans (sometimes conflicting) to history (and now memorabilia) on their regiments. Totally fasinating!

Have fun

Di