Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marines in WW1

oak

Pals,

I would be grateful if someone would let me know if there was an official history written on the Royal Marines in WW1. If so, I would be very grateful if anyone with access to a copy would please let me know.

(I need to check information for two/three dates.)

Regards,

Philip

Gen. Sir HE Blumberg, 'Britain's Sea Soldiers 1914-1919,' 1927.

What do you want to know?

Many thanks,

On or about 26 February 1915 and during the next few days Royal Marines landed at Sedd-el-Bahr on the tip of the Gallipoli peninsula. (I'm sorry I don't have the exact dates to hand as I write this). They also landed at Kum Kale on the opposite side of the Dardanelles, but it is the Sedd-el-Bahr landings that I am particularly interested in.

I would be very interested in anything the official history says about the landings. I know that the Royal Marines sustained casualties during the landings. I would be grateful if you could advise me where I might get information on the men killed -- is the Commonwealth War Graves Commission my only option, or would the Royal Marines themselves have information? If the latter, I would be very grateful if you could give me an address/email to contact.

Regards,

Philip

Phillip - I have a list and details of RM commemorated on Helles Memorial - this should include those men of Plymouth Bttn that were involved in the landings at Kum Kale and Sedd-el-bahr. It might not include those, if any, that subsequently dow and are buried on Mudros or elsewhere - cant remember if I have that list as well.

What did you want this information for and can I help?

According to Blumberg there were 22 NCOs and ORs killed and 22 wounded. When they re-embarked there were 3 RM missing, which were not taken off. I believe all the kia were buried at sea next day (5 March).

Bruckshaw - whose company was one of the two RM companies involved - missed the operation due to illness but his diary gives an account. As I recall there were also some ship's company RM involved, probably as Landing Masters, as well as the Plymouth Bttn, RM, RND.

Edited by Jonathan Saunders

Many thanks Jonathan,

I'm researching, with a view to publication, the landing at V Beach on 25 April 1915 and the two days following. As the landing by the Royal Marines at Sedd-el-Bahr forms part of the lead up to the 25 April landing, I would like, if possible, to include this in the story.

I am trying to put together a casualty list for the V Beach landing. If possible, I would like to include the names of Royal Marines who were killed in the earlier landings. Am I correct in presuming that the 22 NCOs and other ranks killed and three missing are the totals for those killed at Sedd-el-Bahr and Kum Kale? Am I also correct in presuming that it is not possible to get seperate numbers for the landing at Sedd-el-Bahr? Finally, I would be very grateful if you would let me know if the figures you quoted are for one particular day or are the total losses for all the landings in late February/early March 1915.

I would, Jonathan, be very grateful for details of the men commemorated on the Helles Memorial for the dates concerned and -- if you do have it-- the men who died of wounds on Mudros and elsewhere for the dates in question.

Regards,

Philip

Philip,

It looks as if we have over-lapping aspirations but mine concentrate on the Royal Marines and it might be that you are far ahead of me. I will certainly have a lot of info you require near by although not quite at hand - including transcripts of Blumberg's entire account on the March landings and Bruckshaw's diary entries aalready typed out. Also as already mentioned lists of kia/dow.

Contact me off Forum via the members and I am sure we can find a happy solution.

Jon

dear pals can you help me i have a great uncle who was in the r.m.l.i. in the great war i think he was housed at chatham we know nothing about him .his name was harold tristram can you help thanks tommy p.s he was a sergent

dear pals can you help me i have a great uncle who was in the r.m.l.i. in the great war i think he was housed at chatham we know nothing about him .his name was harold tristram can you help thanks tommy p.s he was a sergent

Tom - if you have his service numebr you can easily obtain his attestation papers and record of service from The National Archives at Kew.

Without the number you can search for him by his surname and fortunately TRISTRAM is not that common but this process is still time consuming.

Regards.

If possible, I would like to include the names of Royal Marines who were killed in the earlier landings.

The RM Historical Society produced their own equivalent to ‘soldiers who died in the great war’ in 1991 called ‘With Kind and Grateful Hearts’ compiled by JA Good. There is a copy at Kew.