Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My father's war

Guest David Hough

Guest David Hough

My family are taking me to France in April 2006 to the battlefields my father, 12936 Pte Harold Hough, fought over with 7 East Lancs, 56 Bde, 19 Div, Festubert, October 1915 in area Barnton Road-Canadian Orchard and La Boisselle July 1916 in area Sausage Valley- Heligoland. He was a bomber at La Boisselle and caught a Blighty one on 5 July. He returned in March 1917 to 1 Bn East Lancs, 11 Bde, 4 Div in the Arras area and in April 1917 and he told me after they had achieved their objective they watched the Canadians take Vimy Ridge. Can anyone advise on the current conditions in these areas and anything significant I should look out for or be aware of.

Incidentally, he was invalided back to UK with Trench Fever and other complications in June 1917 and then sent out to Salonika to join 9Bn East Lancs, 65 Bde, 22 Div. He told me when Armistice was announced they were so wet and cold they couldn't raise a cheer. He died in 1978, aged 83.

Hi David - you will find some info etc on visiting these places on my websites listed in my signature below. I hope you have a memorable visit.

Hi David. I'm a military historian who has recently moved to La Boisselle. If I can be of any assistance with your visit, don't hesitate to contact me. My email is jonathan.haslock@wanadoo.fr

Hi David. I'm a military historian who has recently moved to La Boisselle. If I can be of any assistance with your visit, don't hesitate to contact me. My email is jonathan.haslock@wanadoo.fr

Hi Jon - where abouts do you live in La Boisselle? The only Englishman I know of there is the chap who is opening a B&B on the main road?

I note you are a military historian; I have tried Googling you, but cannot find any of your work - what have you written?

My family are taking me to France in April 2006 to the battlefields my father, 12936 Pte Harold Hough, fought over with 7 East Lancs, 56 Bde, 19 Div, Festubert, October 1915 in area Barnton Road-Canadian Orchard and La Boisselle July 1916 in area Sausage Valley- Heligoland. He was a bomber at La Boisselle and caught a Blighty one on 5 July. He returned in March 1917 to 1 Bn East Lancs, 11 Bde, 4 Div in the Arras area and in April 1917 and he told me after they had achieved their objective they watched the Canadians take Vimy Ridge. Can anyone advise on the current conditions in these areas and anything significant I should look out for or be aware of.

Incidentally, he was invalided back to UK with Trench Fever and other complications in June 1917 and then sent out to Salonika to join 9Bn East Lancs, 65 Bde, 22 Div. He told me when Armistice was announced they were so wet and cold they couldn't raise a cheer. He died in 1978, aged 83.

I visited the Arras area in April this year. Some of the Vimy Memorial is undergoing repair and I think might still be off limits to visitors for your visit. There is still lots to see and you will find it rivetting stuff. One small point, the Battle of Arras was fought in a blizzard. It was snowing and bitterly cold when we visited. April in Paris this is not. :ph34r: Take warm clothes.

Hi Jon - where abouts do you live in La Boisselle? The only Englishman I know of there is the chap who is opening a B&B on the main road?

I note you are a military historian; I have tried Googling you, but cannot find any of your work - what have you written?

Hi Paul. We're opposite the turning for the Crater in the village (Rue Georges Cuvillier). We've only been here for about a month and a half. I haven't had anything published yet, but I'm working on it. We've all got to start somewhere!

Hi Jon - oh yes, I have seen a house there with a Union flag in the window. I wondered what that was all about - now I know! I will come and look you up sometime, if that is okay? Are you doing B&B? Perhaps you can email me with details sometime if you are.

Guest David Hough

I don't if this is the place to record my reply! Thanks to those who replied to my note on my proposed visit. I will contact you again once I have firmed up my itinerary. I should add that I have some mobility problems which may make access to some sites difficult