The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Minesweepers in Aegean

arkaygee

From Absent Voters in Grimsby & Cleethorpes, 1919 List

RYLETT, Harry Martin

248 Welholme Road

1775 H.M.S. King Richard

My limited information about Harry, my wife's grandfather, includes the story that he commanded minesweepers in the Aegean during ww1, but jumped ship and was court martialled (or perhaps the other way round). His prewar occupation was Grimsby trawlerman, and I know some local trawlers were adapted as minesweepers.

No one in the family seems to have the facts, but I have just discovered the information above, and wondered how useful the name of the ship is? Is the number his, or does this relate to the ship? No rank or indication of his job, although the family name is usually spelt RYLATT.

How extensive were the Aegean minesweeping operations? Dis they involve a large number of vessels?

Most of my research has been Western Front, so I am at a loss with some of this. Thanks for looking!

Ray

Ray,

Lots happening in the Aegean one of which was the Oranto Barrage, the vessels employed on that in April 1918, comprised 35 destroyers, four torpedo boats, eight submarines, six sloops, 52 trawlers, 74 drifters, 31 motor launches and 36 American submarine chasers. The story is here,

http://www.gwpda.org/naval/psotrant.htm

Hope this gives you a start Regards Charles

Ray,

Your info above comes from the ABSENT VOTERS Grimsby & Cleethorpes 1919,

however his name crops up on at least two other web sites as well

see: http://www.poulton.info/familyhistory/NamesR.htm

For entry:

Rylatt, Henry Martin - 248 Welholme Road Warrant Off

See also All Saints, Heneage Road, Grimsby – Roll of Honour

Found at http://beehive.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/default...45&PageID=72818

For entry:

Skipper Harry M. Rylatt Minesweeper

Best of luck with your researches

Michael D.R.

Ray,

Lots happening in the Aegean one of which was the Oranto Barrage, the vessels employed on that in April 1918, comprised 35 destroyers, four torpedo boats, eight submarines, six sloops, 52 trawlers, 74 drifters, 31 motor launches and 36 American submarine chasers. The story is here,

Hope this gives you a start Regards Charles

Thanks, Charles

Looks like I've got my work cut out!

Ray

Michael

Many thanks for the information - you have helped to confirm that he skippered a minesweeper, so that's a great start.

Cheers

Ray

Except, of course, that the Oranto Barrage covered the exit to the Adriatic, not the Aegean. These vessels were primarily engaged in patrol work and net tending.

To me, the combination of terms "minesweeping" and "Aegean" suggests a vessel capable of minesweeping (like a trawler) use to deal with the hazard created to German submarine-laid mines in the Aegean Sea itself. While Salonika would be the most obvious focus, U-boats laid mines with regularity in the Aegean, thus creating the need to have minesweepers available locally to deal with the threat. I would suppose these vessels would also be used for patrol work when not actually minesweeping...

Best wishes,

Michael

Sorry,

Should have expanded?

The ships of the Flotilla began leaving the Barrage for the Aegean in October 1918 as the Dardanelles once again became a focus point. Subsequently, they were deployed to the Black Sea before going to the UK for refit.

Charles

Edited by joseph

... the combination of terms "minesweeping" and "Aegean" suggests a vessel capable of minesweeping (like a trawler) use to deal with the hazard created to German submarine-laid mines in the Aegean Sea itself. While Salonika would be the most obvious focus, U-boats laid mines with regularity in the Aegean, thus creating the need to have minesweepers available locally to deal with the threat. I would suppose these vessels would also be used for patrol work when not actually minesweeping...

Best wishes,

Michael

There were minesweepers in service along the Turkish coast and islands throughout the war, and they were also used as patrol craft. Many of the crews were straight off fishing trawlers in the early months, but more and more RN and RNR men found their way to these craft as the war went on. The RN officer "Captain of Trawlers Eastern Mediterranean" also established an ASW training school which, I believe but haven't yet proved, fitted minesweepers with early hydrophones.

Ray, I have had a quick look through my "stuff" and don't think I can add anything more to what you have already seen on this forum, but would be very interested in knowing how this story turns out.

Regards,

Bruce

Ray,

Michael DR may have given you a good starting point, in 1918 he was a Warrant Officer (held a Board of Trade Certificate of Competance as a Skipper of a fishing vessel) in 1919 absentee voters he had a number and no rank. If he was found guilty of jumping ship as a Skipper he most certainly wouldnt stay in command. Also he would move ship so keep the options open on ships names.

I would try the Grimsby archives on two counts a. any general mention of his name and b. to see if any records excist of his service as a trawlerman, before the war. they signed on each ship and sometimes refered to RNR(Trawler Section) liability.

There should also be an account of a Courts Martial at Kew if he had one but where Im not sure.

Regards Charles

Charles

Apparently Harry was running some kind of racket around the Aegean islands, was caught and subsequently sent to Ireland to await Court Martial. It was while he was there that he absconded, and not, as I first thought, jumping ship.

I'm not sure if he ever was CMd, as he was still AWOL as the war ended. I think the Grimsby archives and the Court Martial records are definitely the place to start.

Thanks for your help

Ray

Ray,

He still had a number and a ship in april 1919 when did he get sent to Ireland?

If he was still AWOL as the war ended eventually he would have been caught and brought to book. May be a good story in the Grimsby papers?

Regards Charles

Ray,

He still had a number and a ship in april 1919 when did he get sent to Ireland?

If he was still AWOL as the war ended eventually he would have been caught and brought to book. May be a good story in the Grimsby papers?

Regards Charles

Charles

Part of my problem is trying to sift the grain of truth from the chaff of rumour and partly forgotten detail, so the second hand stories that were passed on might not always be entirely true.

That's why the expertise of folks on this forum is so much appreciated - I live in hope that the fog of confusion will be lifted to reveal the shining facts!

(Looks like I will have to revise the chronology at some stage)

Many thanks

Ray

Ray,

There is no smoke without fire, and if no other information is available, the place to start. 800 trawlers, drifters and paddleboats sailed from the Humber in 1914 early 1915, some stayed on the local patrols some travelled the world.

Good luck Charles

• 2 weeks later...

From Absent Voters in Grimsby & Cleethorpes, 1919 List

RYLETT, Harry Martin

248 Welholme Road

1775 H.M.S. King Richard

Has anyone got any info on this ship? Web searches have so far drawn a blank.

Thanks

Ray

The King Richard was a trawler taken into naval service. 1775 was her RN pennant number.

Best wishes,

Michael

That makes sense - thanks Michael.

What are your sources? Can you recommend a definitive reference book?

Thanks again

Ray

That makes sense - thanks Michael.

What are your sources? Can you recommend a definitive reference book?

Ray,

I friend of mine is writing a book on trawlers and photographed the entire master list of trawlers, drifters, etc. held at TNA. He sent me a copy of the photos...

I can't really recommend a source on King Richard's wartime service. Note that the vast majority of trawler deck logs were destroyed postwar.

Best wishes,

Michael

• 9 months later...

Update on Harry Rylatt

Success - earlier this month I managed to find his service record at TNA in BT 377, but it is difficult to read, due to ink blots and faded writing.

A couple of initial observations:

1. He claimed to be 37, when in fact he was 38
  2. Other ships mentioned were ST Reindeer (1911-1913) ST Libra (1913-1914) and HMS Pekin (1919)
I will continue to try and decipher!

Ray